An elementary question about rotations

In summary, a rotation of a system of two unentangled spins by ##2\pi## changes the state by a factor of -1.
Silicon-Based
TL;DR Summary
Rotation of spin-1/2 state
Suppose I have a positive spin-##1/2## eigenstate pointing in the ##z##-direction. If I apply a rotation operator by an angle ##\theta## around the ##z##-axis the state should of course not change. However, if I write it out explicitly, I find something different:
$$R_z(\theta)|\uparrow\rangle =
\begin{pmatrix}
e^{-i\theta/2} & 0 \\
0 & e^{i\theta/2}
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} =
e^{-i\theta/2}|\uparrow\rangle.
$$Is this factor of ##e^{-i\theta/2}## like a phase that can be added and removed at will because it's not an observable? I don't see a different way to rationalize this with the physical expectation above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silicon-Based said:
Summary: Rotation of spin-1/2 state

Suppose I have a positive spin-##1/2## eigenstate pointing in the ##z##-direction. If I apply a rotation operator by an angle ##\theta## around the ##z##-axis the state should of course not change. However, if I write it out explicitly, I find something different:
$$R_z(\theta)|\uparrow\rangle =
\begin{pmatrix}
e^{-i\theta/2} & 0 \\
0 & e^{i\theta/2}
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} =
e^{-i\theta/2}|\uparrow\rangle.
$$Is this factor of ##e^{-i\theta/2}## like a phase that can be added and removed at will because it's not an observable? I don't see a different way to rationalize this with the physical expectation above.

As you say, the value of all observables measured on that state will not change. However, rotating the system has changed the state. Note, for example, that rotating the system by ##2\pi## results in a phase factor of ##-1##. In QM you have to rotate a system by ##4\pi## to return to the original state.

Note that this is a general result for rotations of systems in QM. Not just spin 1/2 particles.

This prediction of QM can be tested. There is an experiment quoted in Sakurai, for example, using neutron interferometry. The idea is to split a beam of neutrons, with one path involving a rotation and then to recombine the paths and observe the interference pattern.

If one path involves a rotation of ##2\pi## you should see destructive interference, but not for a rotation of ##4 \pi##.

Last edited:
Likes Mentz114
If I have a system of two unentangled spins, with state vector like ##\left|\right.\uparrow\rangle\left|\right.\uparrow\rangle##, would a rotation of ##2\pi## add a factor of -1 or would the minus signs from the two spins cancel? Just a thought that came to my mind and it's not immediately clear to me what happens...

Likes PeroK

1. What is a rotation in physics?

A rotation in physics refers to the circular movement of an object around an axis or center point. It involves the object moving in a circular path while maintaining a fixed distance from the center point.

2. How is rotation different from translation?

Rotation and translation are both types of motion, but they differ in the direction of movement. Rotation involves circular movement around an axis, while translation involves movement along a straight line.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise rotation?

The direction of rotation is determined by the direction in which an object is moving around an axis. Clockwise rotation refers to movement in the same direction as the hands of a clock, while counterclockwise rotation refers to movement in the opposite direction.

4. How is angular velocity related to rotation?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes to make that rotation.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotation?

Some examples of rotation in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth on its axis, the rotation of a wheel on a car, and the rotation of a ceiling fan. Other examples include the rotation of a record player, the rotation of a spinning top, and the rotation of a merry-go-round.