Which process produces silicon, lithium, bismuth, nickel and uranium?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Orion78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Elements Origin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Orion78
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
By choosing among the following five options, what is the main source in the universe for the origin of the elements : silicon, lithium, bismuth, nickel and uranium?

Primordial nucleosynthesis – fusion in core of low-mass stars – fusion in core of high-mass stars – slow neutron capture in high mass-stars - rapid neutron capture in supernovae.

Thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Homework questions should be posted in the appropriate homework forum. Please show whatever work you have done so far and explain where you get lost.
 
Sorry, next time I will choose the right forum.
The following is what I think is the right answer but I'd like to be confirmed.

silicon = Fusion in core of low-mass star
lithium = Primordial nucleosynthesis
bismuth = Low neutron capture in high mass-stars
nickel = Fusion in core of low-mass star
uranium = Rapid neutron capture in supernovae

Thanks!
 
For nickel I think you mean fusion in the core of a HIGH mass star. Also, isn't silicon one of the last elements produced in high mass stars and not low mass stars? I'm not formally educated in astrophysics so I could be wrong.