What is the primary source for the origin of elements?

In summary, the main sources in the universe for the origin of the elements are as follows: silicon is produced through fusion in the core of low-mass stars, lithium is primarily formed during primordial nucleosynthesis, bismuth is created through slow neutron capture in high mass-stars, nickel is also produced through fusion in the core of low-mass stars, and uranium is primarily formed through rapid neutron capture in supernovae. However, it is worth noting that while lithium is produced in trace amounts during big bang nucleosynthesis, it is uncertain if this is the main source for lithium in the universe. Additionally, stars with lower masses, such as the sun, are not capable of producing elements beyond carbon and oxygen, while heavier elements
Orion78
By choosing among the following five options, what is the main source in the universe for the origin of the elements : silicon, lithium, bismuth, nickel and uranium?

Primordial nucleosynthesis – fusion in core of low-mass stars – fusion in core of high-mass stars – slow neutron capture in high mass-stars - rapid neutron capture in supernovae.

The following is what I think is the right answer but I'd like to be confirmed.

silicon = Fusion in core of low-mass star
lithium = Primordial nucleosynthesis
bismuth = Low neutron capture in high mass-stars
nickel = Fusion in core of low-mass star
uranium = Rapid neutron capture in supernovae

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bismuth and nickel both have atomic numbers greater than that of iron. So...you might want to re-evaluate your answers for those.

You are correct that lithium is produced in trace amounts during big bang nucleosynthesis. Whether this was the *main* source of lithium in the universe, I admit that I am not sure of. It certainly seems like stars produce carbon and oxygen directly from helium fusion, by means of the triple-alpha process, leaving it an open question (to me) by what other natural processes light elements like lithium would be produced aside from in the early universe.

You're right that uranium definitely requires supernovae to produce it.

I'm not sure what you're calling "low mass" vs. "high mass", but bear in mind that anything that will end as a white dwarf isn't going to be producing silicon in its core. A star has to be *several* solar masses (like 8-10) just to get hot enough for carbon fusion to ignite in the core: otherwise carbon and oxygen are the end of the line (they certainly will be for the sun). I may have said too much already: I don't want to give you answers to things that you should know.

Last edited:

Related to What is the primary source for the origin of elements?

What is the origin of elements?

The origin of elements refers to the process by which the elements that make up the universe were created. This process is known as nucleosynthesis, and it involves the fusion of lighter elements into heavier elements through high temperatures and pressures.

How were the first elements formed?

The first elements were formed shortly after the Big Bang, which is the event that is believed to have created the universe. During this event, extremely high temperatures and pressures caused the formation of hydrogen, helium, and a small amount of lithium.

Where do elements heavier than hydrogen and helium come from?

Elements heavier than hydrogen and helium are formed through nuclear fusion in the cores of stars. As stars age and run out of fuel, they undergo fusion reactions that create heavier elements such as carbon, oxygen, and iron.

What is the role of supernovae in the creation of elements?

Supernovae, which are the explosive deaths of massive stars, play a crucial role in the creation of elements. These explosions release enormous amounts of energy and heat, which can trigger fusion reactions that create even heavier elements, such as gold and uranium.

How do scientists study the origin of elements?

Scientists study the origin of elements through a variety of methods, including analyzing the composition of stars and other celestial bodies, conducting experiments in particle accelerators, and observing the remnants of ancient supernovae. They also use computer simulations to model the processes involved in nucleosynthesis.