Which scattering angle corresponds to the largest Compton shift and why?

In summary, an electron initially at rest is scattered by a photon. Half of the photon's energy is transferred onto the electron when the photon has a minimum photon energy.
SpY]

Homework Statement

An electron initially at rest is scattered by a photon.
a) Which scattering angle corresponds to the largest Compton shift and why?
b) At what minimum photon energy can half of the photon energy be transferred onto the electron?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta \lambda = \lambda_2 - \lambda_1 = \frac {h}{m_e c} (1 -cos\theta)[/tex]
where [tex]\Delta \lambda[/tex] is the compton shift, [tex]\lambda_2[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_1 [/tex] are the final and initial photon wavelengths, m is the mass of the electron, c the speed of light, and [tex]\theta [/tex] the scattering angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Pretty straightforward, for a maximum shift [tex]\delta \lamba[/tex] the [tex](1 -cos\theta)[/tex] must be a maximum, ie. [tex]cos\theta) = 0[/tex] which happens at 90 degrees.

b) I might be confused in understanding the question. Way I figured, is that the the initial photon kinetic energy is shared equally between the reflected photon and electron. So conservation of mechanical energy (without potential energy, electron initially at rest, K = hf for photon and K= 0.4mv² for electron)
[tex]h \frac {c}{\lambda_1} = h \frac {c}{\lambda_2} + 0.5 m v^2[/tex]
So since the final energy of the photon is half the initial, that means the reflected photon and electron have equal resultant kinetic energies.
[tex]h \frac {c}{\lambda_1} = 2 h \frac {c}{\lambda_2} = m v^2[/tex]

I'm still not getting what "minimum" is

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to look a little further into a). You find the maximum of a function by finding the roots of the derivative.

As for the second question, and I'm not quite sure, but I believe you're supposed to write the initial energy of the photon as a function of θ, then find the minimum energy you can get.

SpY];3249660 said:

Homework Statement

An electron initially at rest is scattered by a photon.
a) Which scattering angle corresponds to the largest Compton shift and why?
b) At what minimum photon energy can half of the photon energy be transferred onto the electron?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta \lambda = \lambda_2 - \lambda_1 = \frac {h}{m_e c} (1 -cos\theta)[/tex]
where [tex]\Delta \lambda[/tex] is the compton shift, [tex]\lambda_2[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_1 [/tex] are the final and initial photon wavelengths, m is the mass of the electron, c the speed of light, and [tex]\theta [/tex] the scattering angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Pretty straightforward, for a maximum shift [tex]\delta \lamba[/tex] the [tex](1 -cos\theta)[/tex] must be a maximum, ie. [tex]cos\theta) = 0[/tex] which happens at 90 degrees.
Pretty straightforward, but you got it wrong. :wink: (1-cos θ) is equal to 2sin2 θ/2. When does the latter achieve its maximum?
b) I might be confused in understanding the question. Way I figured, is that the the initial photon kinetic energy is shared equally between the reflected photon and electron. So conservation of mechanical energy (without potential energy, electron initially at rest, K = hf for photon and K= 0.4mv² for electron)
[tex]h \frac {c}{\lambda_1} = h \frac {c}{\lambda_2} + 0.5 m v^2[/tex]
So since the final energy of the photon is half the initial, that means the reflected photon and electron have equal resultant kinetic energies.
[tex]h \frac {c}{\lambda_1} = 2 h \frac {c}{\lambda_2} = m v^2[/tex]

I'm still not getting what "minimum" is
The righthand side of the formula for the change in wavelength says it's limited to a certain range that depends on the mass of the electron; it will be on the order of hc/mc2, which is completely independent of the initial energy of the photon. So it's possible that only for a certain range of photon energies will the change in wavelength be consistent with the photon losing half its initial energy. The problem is asking you to find the lower limit of this range.

You might have noticed I threw in an extra factor of c into both the numerator and denominator. It's often useful to do this because certain combinations of constants appear frequently, and you can save a lot of time if you memorize them. In this case, you have hc, which is approximately 1240 MeV-fm (this combo is useful when you want to convert between energy and wavelength for photons), and mc2, which is 0.511 MeV, the rest energy of the electron. So hc/mc2 = 2430 fm = 2.43x10-12 m.

sigh silly me... I was looking at when the function (1-cosθ) and not it's derivative (sinθ). Which is obviously zero at 180 degrees! That then makes more sense in how I got to the second equation, which is the compton shift for 180 degrees (ie. for half the energy to be transferred in the collision, it must be at 180 degrees) so

[tex]\lambda_2 - \lambda_1 = \frac {2h}{m_e c} = 4860 fm[/tex] (θ=180)

Combining with [tex]\frac {hc}{\lambda_1} = 2 h \frac {c}{\lambda_2} [/tex] I get [tex]E_\lambda_1 = \frac {2hc}{\lambda_1 + 4860fm}[/tex]
which doesn't help much.

The question as I see it, "At least how much energy must the photon have to lose half" seems redundant, and I don't see how the mass of the electron can be used because it's rebound velocity is another unknown. Am I correct that for whatever energy the photon has, if it collides at 180 degrees, half of it's initial energy will be transferred to the electron initially at rest? (or is my assumption of 180degrees the problem)

No, the photon scattering at 180 degrees does not necessarily mean that it has lost half its energy. In fact, that would only be true for one energy. At some other energies, it's just not possible, and for other energies, losing half would occur at different angles.

For a scattered photon to have half the energy of the initial photon, it must have double the wavelength, right? ([tex]2\lambda_2 = \lambda_1[/tex])
(I'm assuming θ=180 because that seems to give the minimum energy to me)

[tex]\lambda_2 - \lambda_1 = \frac {2h}{mc}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_1 = \frac {2h}{mc}[/tex]

[tex]E_\lambda_1 = \frac {hc}{\lambda_1} = \frac {mc hc}{2h} = 0.5mc^2[/tex]

For which all values are known, I get the energy 0.256MeV?

Last edited:
SpY];3251424 said:
For a scattered photon to have half the energy of the initial photon, it must have double the wavelength, right? ([tex]2\lambda_2 = \lambda_1[/tex])
(I'm assuming θ=180 because that seems to give the minimum energy to me)
There's no need to assume. That's what part (a) of the problem told you.
[tex]\lambda_2 - \lambda_1 = \frac {2h}{mc}[/tex]
[tex]\lambda_1 = \frac {2h}{mc}[/tex]

[tex]E_\lambda_1 = \frac {hc}{\lambda_1} = \frac {mc hc}{2h} = 0.5mc^2[/tex]

For which all values are known, I get the energy 0.256MeV?
That's correct.

1. What is a Compton shift?

A Compton shift, also known as the Compton effect, is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of a photon increases after it interacts with a charged particle, such as an electron. This shift in wavelength is due to the transfer of energy from the photon to the charged particle.

2. How is the scattering angle related to the Compton shift?

The scattering angle is the angle at which the photon is scattered after interacting with the charged particle. The larger the scattering angle, the larger the Compton shift will be. This is because a larger angle results in a greater transfer of energy between the photon and the charged particle.

3. What is the largest possible Compton shift?

The largest possible Compton shift occurs when the photon scatters at a 180 degree angle, known as backscattering. In this case, the photon transfers the maximum amount of energy to the charged particle, resulting in the largest possible increase in wavelength.

4. Why does a larger scattering angle result in a larger Compton shift?

As the photon interacts with the charged particle, it transfers a portion of its energy to the particle. The larger the scattering angle, the more energy is transferred, resulting in a larger Compton shift. This is because a larger angle allows for a greater distance in which the photon can transfer its energy to the charged particle.

5. How does the Compton shift affect different types of radiation?

The Compton shift affects all types of radiation, including electromagnetic radiation and particle radiation. However, the amount of shift may vary depending on the energy and wavelength of the radiation. Higher energy radiation, such as gamma rays, will experience a larger Compton shift compared to lower energy radiation, such as visible light.