Which science/engineering field?

• Thread starter savethegibbons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, In order to pursue a career in one of the science fields, it is important to consider what will provide the best opportunities in the future. Physics and biochemistry both appear to have the potential to provide this, but it is important to consider other factors, such as the workload and career prospects, before making a decision.
savethegibbons
Hello,

After dabbling with general science on an amateur/foundation level for a year, I have decided to pursue a BSc in one of the science fields. However, I'm torn between physics, biology and chemistry, all of which I find appealing.

Since I feel attracted to them all, particularly modern physics and biochemistry, which one would provide the best employment opportunities in the future? It seems that at first glance chemistry and biochemistry would provide the best opportunities, but would it be possible to study physics on the undergraduate level and then study electrical or mechanical engineering on the postgraduate level? That might cover both bases.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully I'll begin posting more in the future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Replying to your split between physics and bichemistry:

I think Biochemistry would provide better career oppertunities. My old Chemistry teacher and my new physics teacher both have majors in Biochemistry. I've talked to them, and they sound convincing, that Biochemistry, is a good way to go. My friend, who is a biology/chemistry fanatic, also tells me to go into Biochemistry. He says that I could find a nice paying job easier with a major in Biochemistry than with a major in physics. He was on something about there being more of a demand for Biochemistry than physics majors.

Thats all I can say. I hope I helped a bit.

If you're really interested in all three, you can look for universities that offer a physical biochemistry course as part of their biochemistry major. Biochemistry majors are pretty versatile for finding jobs, but there's never a guarantee of where the jobs will be by the time you graduate, so don't base your decision entirely on that.

Yale, RPI, Oregon State, and Iowa state offer a BS degree in Biochemistry and Biophysics (both in one degree). yo ushould look into those programs. There may be more, but those are the ones that I know of. For more information, type "Biochemistry and Biophysics" major
into google look through the results.

Many universities have programs that cater to students who want to study a hard science and can then apply that knowledge to a master degree program. At my university for example, a good 40% of the undergraduate physics students are in a bs. in physics/ms in mech engineering program.

Thanks for the responses thus far. I might try and pursue a double bachelors degree in Physics or Chemistry and general Engineering, with intentions of getting a MSc in Chemical Engineering or Electrical Engineering afterwards.

The work load will be pretty intense, and I'll be studying quite a while longer, but it seems to appeal more to my current multidisciplinary incilations.

I find physics to be a mix of extreme fascination and some boredom, whereas chemistry is just "decent" overall. Chemistry might be a more balanced though, and I hear it works well with Engineering. Then again, so would physics. It's still a very tough decision :)

Anyway, the physics vs chemistry thing aside, does this general course outline look good on both the educational and vocational level?

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between science and engineering?

In general, science is focused on understanding the natural world and uncovering new knowledge, while engineering is focused on applying that knowledge to solve practical problems and create new technologies.

2. What are the main branches of science and engineering?

The main branches of science include biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences. The main branches of engineering include mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering.

3. How do I decide which science or engineering field to pursue?

It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding which field to pursue. You can also research different fields and talk to professionals in those fields to get a better understanding of what they entail.

4. Is it possible to switch between science and engineering fields?

While science and engineering are distinct fields, there is often overlap and it is possible to switch between them. For example, a biologist may work on developing new medical devices, or a chemist may specialize in environmental engineering.

5. What are some emerging fields in science and engineering?

Some emerging fields in science include biotechnology, artificial intelligence, and environmental science. In engineering, emerging fields include nanotechnology, renewable energy, and robotics.