Which side of a resistor is positive/negative?

• Thread starter miyayeah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the question asks how to determine which side of a resistor is positive and which side is negative. The answer provided suggests that in this specific case, the right side of the 4Ω resistor is positive and the other side is negative. However, in more complex cases, Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) equations can be used to solve for the voltages and currents in a circuit.
miyayeah

Homework Statement

In the attached file, how do I decide which side of the resistor is positive/negative?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The current would go through the 6V battery starting from the positive end of the 9V battery to the negative end of the 9V battery; so my guess is that the right side of 4Ω resistor is positive, and the other side is negative.

Attachments

• 28343067_755401677984178_2022593007_o.jpg
    28343067_755401677984178_2022593007_o.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
miyayeah said:

Homework Statement

In the attached file, how do I decide which side of the resistor is positive/negative?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The current would go through the 6V battery starting from the positive end of the 9V battery to the negative end of the 9V battery; so my guess is that the right side of 4Ω resistor is positive, and the other side is negative.
I agree with your answer.

In the general case where it is not so easy, use KCL equations to solve for the voltages and currents in a circuit. Can you post those to double-check your answer? :smile:

1. What is the significance of positive and negative sides on a resistor?

The positive and negative sides on a resistor indicate which direction the current should flow through it. This is important because if the current is applied in the wrong direction, the resistor may not function properly or could even be damaged.

2. How do I determine which side of a resistor is positive and which is negative?

In most cases, the positive side of a resistor is marked with a band of color, usually gold, silver, or red. If there are no color bands, the side with the longer lead is typically the positive side. However, it is always important to refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for specific information.

3. Can I use a resistor with the positive and negative sides reversed?

No, it is not recommended to use a resistor with the positive and negative sides reversed. This can affect the accuracy of the resistance value and may cause damage to the circuit or other components.

4. What happens if I accidentally connect the positive side of a resistor to the negative side of a battery?

If the positive side of a resistor is connected to the negative side of a battery, it will result in a reverse voltage, which can damage the resistor or other components in the circuit. It is important to always double-check the polarity before connecting any components.

5. Are there any exceptions to the positive and negative side rule for resistors?

In some specialized circuits, such as in audio applications, resistors may be used in a non-polarized manner. This means that the positive and negative sides are interchangeable and will not affect the performance of the resistor. However, this is not the case for most general circuits, so it is still important to pay attention to the polarity of resistors.