1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Which subject is easier to pick up? (Undergraduate maths)

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    Hello all.

To complete my degree, I need to take one of the two alternatives:
    1. Point set topology
    2. Numerical methods

Which alternative is easier to pick up and do better in? I should mention that I do not have any programming experience whatsoever!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I should think numerical methods which will involve ordinary math functions being used in numerically integrating differential equations.

Point set topology will involve definitions, theorems and proofs.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable in numerical methods and you'd now learn how to program.

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think that depends on the person. Probably for the majority of students "numerical methods" would be easier (because less abstract), but I also know mathematics students that would do well in "point-set topology" but for whom "numerical methods" would be an ordeal.

What is it that you would like to do with your undergraduate degree? If you want to enter the job market, I would pick "numerical methods". If you are interested in continuing your studies then, depending on your preferred field, "point-set topology" may be a better choice. In addition to being interesting in its own right, it underpins much of analysis and forms the basis for studying other branches of topology.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted