Which Susceptibility of Bismuth Should I Calculate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaxManus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Susceptibility
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
MaxManus
Messages
268
Reaction score
1
I am trying to find the susceptibility for Bismuth, but I don't know which one I am after. Wikipedia gives molar, mass and volume. In my experiment we where asked to calculate the susceptibility, but not which one so I don't know which one I should compare with.

In the experiment we used the formula

Fz = -(1/2mu0)*XA(B21-B22)

Where Fz is the force in direction z, against gravity
X is the susceptibility
A is the area
B1 is and B2 are magnetic flux at different points,

MaxManus is hoping for the best
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of X that is used in your formula or textbook? If you compare that with the units of the molar-, mass-, volume-based susceptibilities, one of them should have the same units.
 
Thanks. Volume was unit less, the same was the answer in my experiment