Which Tally type should I use in MCNP6?

In summary, the different tally types in MCNP6 serve different purposes and allow for more accurate and efficient simulations. The best tally type for a simulation depends on specific parameters and goals, such as the type of particles being tracked and the desired data output. Surface and cell tallies have different uses, with surface tallies being useful for fluence and flux data and cell tallies being better for measuring energy deposition. Multiple tally types can be used in a single simulation for different data or comparison purposes. A track-length estimator tally is useful for obtaining data on particle interactions and secondary particle production in complex systems or when other tally types are not suitable.
khary23
I have a problem where I want to model the dose in Gy of a gamma source on a surface as a function of distance. In the papers I have read several different tallys have been used which leaves me a little confused as to the appropriate tally. In the papers the *F4Mesh, F4, F6, and *F8 tallys were used.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
the first question you need to answer is "What I want calculated ?" :
- dose,
- kerma,
- dose equivalent,
- equivalent dose

1. What is the difference between F8 and F4 tallies in MCNP6?

Both F8 and F4 tallies are used for scoring particle fluxes in MCNP6. F8 tallies are used for tallying particle fluxes in a specific direction, while F4 tallies are used for tallying particle fluxes in all directions. F8 tallies are more suitable for tallies that require directional information, such as flux-to-dose conversion. F4 tallies are more commonly used for general flux calculations.

2. When should I use a mesh tally in MCNP6?

A mesh tally is used when you need to score particle fluxes in a specific spatial region. This is useful for analyzing the distribution of particle fluxes in a complex geometry or for calculating flux-to-dose conversion in a specific region of interest. Mesh tallies are also useful for obtaining more detailed information than what is provided by a cell tally.

3. Can I use multiple tally types in one MCNP6 simulation?

Yes, you can use multiple tally types in one MCNP6 simulation. In fact, it is common to use a combination of tally types to obtain different types of information from a single simulation. For example, you may use a cell tally for overall flux calculations and a mesh tally for more detailed flux distribution analysis.

4. How do I choose the appropriate tally type for my simulation in MCNP6?

The appropriate tally type depends on the specific information you want to obtain from your simulation. Consider what type of data you need and how you plan to use it. If you need directional information, F8 tallies may be more suitable. If you need detailed spatial information, a mesh tally may be necessary. It is also helpful to consult the MCNP6 user manual and other resources for guidance on choosing the appropriate tally type.

5. Are there any limitations to using certain tally types in MCNP6?

Yes, there are some limitations to using certain tally types in MCNP6. For example, mesh tallies can only be used in conjunction with a cell tally and cannot be used on their own. Additionally, some tally types may not be compatible with certain types of particles or may have limited scoring capabilities. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when choosing a tally type for your simulation.