Which technology will internetize society next?

• Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of new technologies on society, including cars, radios, TVs, computers, internet, quantum computing, nanotechnology, and fusion power. The discovery of room temperature superconductors is seen as a game-changing development that could lead to faster computers and better transportation. There is also mention of a potential breakthrough in cheap superconducting wires and the possibility of eliminating AC current. The conversation ends with a discussion on cell phones and their impact on society.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Ok, that title is very crude I admit it. By internetize, I mean which new technology will be the next revolutionary technology to severly impact society.

Here is a brief list of my opinion of the most impacting technologies in roughly the last century.

Cars
Radios
TVs
Computers
Internet
?
?
?

So, will quantum computing be next? Before nanotechnology has mainstream applications? Before fusion power? I know this post is asking a lot of you to predict an uncertain future, but is there any guidance in the scientific community that predicts when such technologies will reach early adopters?

Computer science news on Phys.org
i think if we discover room temperature (and reasonable pressure! for those who are up to news) superconductors, it will open up a huge array of applications, from much faster computers, to much better forms of transportation. it seems like some great work is done in the field, and I can't wait for it to happen. it would change everything.

Mephisto said:
i think if we discover room temperature (and reasonable pressure! for those who are up to news) superconductors, it will open up a huge array of applications, from much faster computers, to much better forms of transportation. it seems like some great work is done in the field, and I can't wait for it to happen. it would change everything.
For those not "up to news", I believe http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news3.19a.html" summarizes what Mephisto was referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that would be a huge breakthrough if cheap superconducting wires would come out. If so, couldn't they cut out AC current entirely considering that telephone wires wouldn't lose current? I believe you forgot to add cell phones to your list also.

1. What is meant by "internetize society"?

"Internetize society" refers to the integration and widespread use of internet technology in various aspects of daily life, such as communication, education, commerce, and entertainment.

2. What are some examples of technologies that have already internetized society?

Some examples include social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram, online shopping websites like Amazon and Etsy, and communication tools like email and video conferencing.

3. What are some potential technologies that could internetize society in the future?

Potential technologies that could internetize society in the future include virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence, and the Internet of Things.

4. How will internetizing society impact our daily lives?

The impact of internetizing society will vary depending on the specific technology, but in general, it will likely make many tasks more convenient, increase access to information and resources, and potentially change the way we interact with each other.

5. Are there any potential negative consequences of internetizing society?

Some potential negative consequences could include privacy concerns, increased reliance on technology, and potential job displacement due to automation. It will be important to consider and address these issues as technology continues to advance and internetize society.