Choosing AS Subject: Should I Pick Biology or Spanish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FeDeX_LaTeX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Biology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
436
Reaction score
13
Hello;

I am in my final year of GCSE and sooner or later I will have to pick what I want to do for AS and A2 (A-Level).

For A2, I am fairly certain I will be picking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

For AS however, I am a little stuck.

I will definitely be picking Maths/Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. However, I don't know whether or not I should pick Biology or Spanish for my last AS slot.

Which is considered to be more appealing by universities such as Cambridge and Oxford? I will end up achieving an A in both subjects but I don't know which to choose. The biology teachers at my school are terrible (as are the spanish teachers), but I can self-teach.

I plan on doing a degree or having a career in a maths/physics-related background.

I do not plan on going into any biology-related field at present, though I might change my mind in future (but for the past few years I have been strongly orientated toward maths/physics).

What should I pick? Biology or Spanish?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Hello;

I am in my final year of GCSE and sooner or later I will have to pick what I want to do for AS and A2 (A-Level).

For A2, I am fairly certain I will be picking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

For AS however, I am a little stuck.

I will definitely be picking Maths/Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. However, I don't know whether or not I should pick Biology or Spanish for my last AS slot.

Which is considered to be more appealing by universities such as Cambridge and Oxford? I will end up achieving an A in both subjects but I don't know which to choose. The biology teachers at my school are terrible (as are the spanish teachers), but I can self-teach.

I plan on doing a degree or having a career in a maths/physics-related background.

I do not plan on going into any biology-related field at present, though I might change my mind in future (but for the past few years I have been strongly orientated toward maths/physics).

What should I pick? Biology or Spanish?

Thanks.

If you like both subjects equally, *may* go into Biology, but never plan to become a professor of Spanish literature, then the choice is obvious - Biology. Neither should make a big difference on your acceptability for a physics degree.
 
Thanks for your response;

Do you know if taking spanish at AS-level bears any effect on my career as a physicist? Will this broaden my options a little more?

Also, at GCSE I don't like either subject (but the dislike is equal toward both). I have looked up the A-level biology courses and they seem more interesting, however.

The chance of me going into biology is relatively slim; I have never really considered a career in biology nor do I want to, but I may. I guess it's similar to being a professor of Spanish literature; there's about a 1/10000 chance of me becoming one. It's unlikely, but I'm leaving room for the probability.

Is AS-spanish advantageous in any way as opposed to AS-biology when going for a maths/physics degree?