1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which virtual cells look the same as the basic cell?

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

fJD1nAu.png

Above is the basic cell drawn with an object inside of it. You look in top view of the basic cell and the space around it filled with virtual cells.

You can see the top view of a basic cell (the square [that is marked blue] formed by the four real mirrors with a height of 10 cm, with the original physical object with a height of 5 cm inside ) and all the copies (mirror images and mirror images of mirror images) around it, which fill a plane.
    Question 1: Which virtual cells look the same as the basic cell? Do You see a regularity/pattern?
    Explain this mathematically.

2. Relevant equations
    mirror reflections

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I don't understand that whether there is a name for those kind of patterns or not. And How many reflections I should draw. I guess it could be an infinite amount... So anyone a clue?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pretend each mirror in turn is the only mirror that exists. eg Just draw one reflection in each cell and see what you get.

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    well, how to image that it gets reflected like 4,5,6 times?

5. Nov 15, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think the problem expects you to consider an infinite number of reflections. Just one in each mirror.

This is what I would expect. I've only shown two virtual cells...

Attached Files:

6. Nov 15, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PS: The multiple reflections (4,5,6 etc) would be located outside the virtual cells.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted