Which watches are the best and why?

• Thread starter verdigris
  • Start date
In summary, there are a huge variety of watches on the market these days, with different features and abilities. Some watches, such as those from Breitling, are very mechanical in terms of their engineering feats, while others, such as the Luminox Captain's Field Watch, are more electronic in nature. However, no matter what type of watch a person chooses, it is important to remember that they will eventually need to be replaced due to the half-life of tritium, which is 12 years. If a person has a watch that is still shining brightly after 20 years, it is probably in good condition.
verdigris
There is a huge variety of watches on the market these days.In terms of
being mechanical or electronic engineering feats,which watches are the best and why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
an atomic watch

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of mechanical brilliance, I am a huge fan of Breitling's watches.

I just wish I could afford one.

Last edited:
What is your definition of best?

Integral said:
What is your definition of best?

Atomic clocks (in my frame of reference)
I rely on atomic clock servers to I can synchronize the time on my motherboard, sick and tired of arriving to school a few minutes late.

I own a Luminox Captain's Field Watch. If it were lost or stolen, I would order another one immediately. The hands and dial positions are illuminated by fluorescent vials filled with Tritium - guaranteed to glow brightly for 20 years, and never need to be "charged" with light. I got home one night during a power failure, and easily illuminated the keyhole in my front door lock with the glow from the watch.

TURBO 1 said:
"I own a Luminox Captain's Field Watch. If it were lost or stolen, I would order another one immediately. The hands and dial positions are illuminated by fluorescent vials filled with Tritium - guaranteed to glow brightly for 20 years, and never need to be "charged" with light."

Half the tritium decays after 12 years.Those hands and dials must be very bright when the watch is brand new - if it's still bright after 20 years!

verdigris said:
TURBO 1 said:
"I own a Luminox Captain's Field Watch. If it were lost or stolen, I would order another one immediately. The hands and dial positions are illuminated by fluorescent vials filled with Tritium - guaranteed to glow brightly for 20 years, and never need to be "charged" with light."

Half the tritium decays after 12 years.Those hands and dials must be very bright when the watch is brand new - if it's still bright after 20 years!
Luminox dials are VERY bright when they are new!

What if a luminox watch has been in the store for 12 years and then the dealer finally sells it and the 20 year guarantee?? It want be glowing much after 32 years..

Does this mean that these watches actually has a "best before"-date..?

I don't know. The watch is glowing very nicely, although not as blindingly bright as when I first bought it 10 years ago. Even if the watch suddenly stopped out-glowing the regular luminous-dial watches after 20 years (unlikely), I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Using the USNO clock as a standard, it seems that the watch is accurate to within 1 second a month at a minimum. It has a modest size and weight, without protruding corners/edges to catch on clothing...nothing fancy, just really laid-back and functional.

which watches are the best

Those portable atomic watches you can get at McDonald's :biggrin:

the one that costs the most :rofl:

It really depends on what you do with it.

For Every day use I wear a Rado, I've worn it for 15 years now and never take it off before sticking my arm in car engines, or painting the house. There is one tiny chip in the face, and a small dent in the clasp from a fall that broke my wrist but not my watch. It is almost indestructible, certainly more industricble than I am.

For diving I wear a really old Rolex Oyster, I don't wear it every day because they are really heavy and clunky, also everybody assumes it's fake. But that watch can go places I can't and still work reliably. You can also read the dial when 30m under the water.

Going out I wear a Tressa Spaceman, It may be 40 years old but it still looks pretty cool and loads of people comment on it; or a Lordex Digital a watch designed before Digital meant LED lights so it is a self winding mechanical digital watch. I also have an original Commodore Gold LED Digital but it drains batteries at an alarming rate when you activate the display.

At the end of the day how often does your watch need to tell you the time within a couple of milliseconds. Life works in 15 minute blocks, just make sure you get everywere a few minutes early and all the stress in life (And speeding fines) melt away.
I have a different watch depending on what I'm doing. My only rule on watches is if you want something that looks good and you wear it occasionally don't spend more than £150; if you want something that will outlive you don't spend less than £1000. Any watch between £150 and £1000 is a £100 watch with extra bling and you get the same effect by buying a fake from the market for £5.

I have this one: http://store.dieseltimeframes.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=30202&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=330&iSubCat=2123&iProductID=30202

It looks good and tells the time.

These are both nice features for a watch :tongue: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the top features to consider when choosing the best watch?

When looking for the best watch, it is important to consider factors such as the brand's reputation, the type of movement (mechanical or quartz), the materials used in the construction, the watch's water resistance, and any additional features such as chronograph or GPS capabilities.

2. Which brand makes the best watches?

This is a subjective question as different brands excel in different areas. Some popular and highly-regarded watch brands include Rolex, Omega, Patek Philippe, and Tag Heuer. It is important to research and compare different brands to find the best watch for your specific needs and preferences.

3. What makes a watch reliable and durable?

A reliable and durable watch is typically made with high-quality materials such as stainless steel, sapphire crystal, and ceramic. It should also have a solid build and be resistant to water, shock, and other external factors. Additionally, the brand's reputation and warranty can also play a role in the watch's reliability and durability.

4. Are expensive watches always better than cheaper ones?

Not necessarily. While expensive watches may have more advanced features and higher quality materials, there are also many affordable watches that offer great performance and durability. It is important to consider your budget and do thorough research to find the best watch within your price range.

5. What is the best type of watch for everyday wear?

For everyday wear, a watch with a durable and comfortable strap, such as leather or stainless steel, is ideal. It should also have a simple and versatile design that can be worn with various outfits. Additionally, a watch with water resistance and scratch-resistant materials can also be beneficial for everyday wear.