Which wave function and operator is responsible for the Double Slit Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the explanation of the double slit experiment in quantum mechanics, specifically the role of wave functions and operators. The speaker is looking for a paper that can provide a clear explanation of this concept. They also mention a discrepancy between the predicted and observed amount of photons in the experiment and question if this is due to noise or lack of ideal conditions.
curtdbz
I know this may be a completely stupid question and it's so fundamental but... As we all know the first thing we learn is basically the duality between waves and particles (e.g electron). This is shown via the double slit experiment.

Now I know how to explain it if it were water waves, and using Huygen's equations, etc. But in quantum mechanics we have a wave function [tex]\psi[/tex] and an operator [tex]A[/tex], and using Schroedinger's equation we obtain the eigenvalues and THAT is what the result should be.

So how does one explain the results of the double slit experiment using that model? Which operator specifically (and what wave function) is in play? Thanks for helping me! I hope this question makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wondering if anyone knows..?

There's a nice paper on arXiv that explains exactly this question. I'll try to find it (I don't know why I don't have a perma-link somewhere, since I searched many years for such a paper myself :))

(FWIW, I recall it simply claiming that the particle was in a superposition of two momentum eigenstates after the slit, and that the screen was measuring position... but that sounds too simplistic.)

[Edit: found it http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0703126]

Talisman said:
There's a nice paper on arXiv that explains exactly this question. I'll try to find it (I don't know why I don't have a perma-link somewhere, since I searched many years for such a paper myself :))

(FWIW, I recall it simply claiming that the particle was in a superposition of two momentum eigenstates after the slit, and that the screen was measuring position... but that sounds too simplistic.)

[Edit: found it http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0703126]

Wow. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

PS: This may be another simple question but looking the paper it predicts (obviously) that there's zero probability of a particle being on the dips of the wave. However, whenever one looks at images of this experiment done with Photons (for ex.) there's always a few little dots where the theory predicts there should be None. Why is this? Noise? Lack of ideal conditions? If so, is there a way to alter the wave function or our predictions so that it correctly predicts the amount of photons that will appear in the 'dips'? Thanks again!

curtdbz said:
Wow. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

PS: This may be another simple question but looking the paper it predicts (obviously) that there's zero probability of a particle being on the dips of the wave. However, whenever one looks at images of this experiment done with Photons (for ex.) there's always a few little dots where the theory predicts there should be None. Why is this? Noise? Lack of ideal conditions? If so, is there a way to alter the wave function or our predictions so that it correctly predicts the amount of photons that will appear in the 'dips'? Thanks again!

I must admit I understand this stuff very little myself, but from what I do understand: the basic idea is lack of ideal conditions. The more "which-path" information the apparatus gathers, the less interference is exhibited. This is not an all-or-nothing, and there may be some recoverable correlations in the system.

But alas, it is best if you wait for an answer from a more authoritative source than me :smile:

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is a famous experiment in quantum physics that involves passing particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits. This experiment demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. What is a wave function in the context of the Double Slit Experiment?

A wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle, including its position, momentum, and other physical properties. In the Double Slit Experiment, the wave function describes the probability of a particle being detected at a certain location on the screen.

3. Which wave function is responsible for the interference pattern in the Double Slit Experiment?

The wave function that is responsible for the interference pattern is a superposition of two or more wave functions, which represents the possibility of a particle passing through both slits at the same time. This superposition leads to the interference pattern on the screen.

4. What is the role of the operator in the Double Slit Experiment?

In the Double Slit Experiment, the operator is responsible for measuring the properties of the particles, such as their position or momentum. The operator is represented by the wave function and determines the probability of a particle being detected at a certain location on the screen.

5. How does the Double Slit Experiment support the wave-particle duality concept?

The Double Slit Experiment supports the wave-particle duality concept by showing that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The interference pattern on the screen demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles, while the detection of individual particles at specific locations shows their particle-like behavior.