White Noise vs Black Noise | Difference Explained

• Thread starter dervast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, white noise is a type of noise with a flat frequency spectrum, while black noise is a term that is not commonly used and may refer to complete absence of noise. There are also other types of noise such as colored noise, which has a non-flat spectrum due to the source or filtering. These terms can also be used metaphorically, such as comparing white noise to Country Western and black noise to Rap.
dervast
Hi all I want me to explain what white and black noise is .And what's the difference betwween them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen the term "black noise". White noise is noise where the frequency spectrum is flat. Colored noise has a non-flat spectrum due to the characteristics of the source or some filtering.

dervast said:
Hi all I want me to explain what white and black noise is .And what's the difference betwween them?
Good old google. I googled "white noise" "pink noise" "black noise" and got lots of hits. Here's one of the first ones, from the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

Superficially, I would assume that black noise would be complete absence of noise... considering how I really don't know a lot about it. kinda like black is the absence of light or color.

back noise!

it's SILENCE!:!)

I had a link that refferred to white and black noise as Country Western and Rap, but I can't find that link anymore.

Okay, this thread is deteriorating, and old. Thread locked.

1. What is the difference between white noise and black noise?

White noise is a type of noise that contains all frequencies at equal intensity, resulting in a flat and constant sound. Black noise, on the other hand, is a type of noise that contains all frequencies at varying intensities, resulting in a more chaotic and unpredictable sound.

2. Which type of noise is better for masking other sounds?

White noise is typically better for masking other sounds, as its constant and consistent sound can effectively block out other noises. Black noise, with its varying intensities, may not be as effective in masking other sounds.

3. Can white noise or black noise improve sleep quality?

Both white noise and black noise can potentially improve sleep quality by creating a steady and consistent background sound that can drown out disruptive noises. However, the effectiveness may vary for each individual.

4. Is one type of noise more harmful than the other?

Both white noise and black noise are generally considered safe and non-harmful. However, prolonged exposure to any loud noise, including both types of noise, can potentially lead to hearing damage.

5. What are some common uses for white noise and black noise?

White noise is commonly used for sound masking, sleep aids, and relaxation. Black noise is often used in music production and sound design to create unique and experimental sounds.