Reducing Gaussian Noise in Antenna Impedance Measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the impedance of an operating antenna over time and modeling the additional noise as Gaussian noise. The individual is looking for the best way to extract the 'pure' impedance value and is considering a Bayesian approach to account for prior information. They also mention the possibility of reducing noise from the measurement circuit.
uzi kiko
Hi

I am measuring the impedance of an operating antenna over time.
Assuming the environment is not changing and the antenna temperature remain constant (No thermal drift) I am receiving the impedance value and additional noise that I want to model as Gaussian noise.
So my simple model is:
Y = X + Z. Where Y is the output, X is the 'pure' impedance value and Z is the noise.
My question is what is the best way to extract X.

Obviously I can sample many samples and find the average value, but I am looking for a less wasteful way.

Thanks a lot
Mosh

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use a Bayesian approach where you account for whatever prior information you have.

uzi kiko said:
Hi

I am measuring the impedance of an operating antenna over time.
Assuming the environment is not changing and the antenna temperature remain constant (No thermal drift) I am receiving the impedance value and additional noise that I want to model as Gaussian noise.
So my simple model is:
Y = X + Z. Where Y is the output, X is the 'pure' impedance value and Z is the noise.
My question is what is the best way to extract X.

Obviously I can sample many samples and find the average value, but I am looking for a less wasteful way.

Thanks a lot
Mosh
Can you post diagrams of your setup and the schematic of the circuit you are using to monitor its impedance? Are you doing this in an anechoic chamber or shielded room? I'm guessing most of the noise you are seeing is coming from your measurement circuit, and you may be able to reduce the noise of that circuit with some attention to details...

Thanks a lot.
Dale said:
You could use a Bayesian approach where you account for whatever prior information you have.

Thanks. This is exactly the answer I looked for.

berkeman said:
Can you post diagrams of your setup and the schematic of the circuit you are using to monitor its impedance? Are you doing this in an anechoic chamber or shielded room? I'm guessing most of the noise you are seeing is coming from your measurement circuit, and you may be able to reduce the noise of that circuit with some attention to details...
Thanks a lot on your answer.

1. What is Gaussian noise?

Gaussian noise, also known as white noise, is a type of random signal that follows a normal distribution. It is characterized by a flat frequency spectrum and an equal distribution of energy at all frequencies.

2. Why do we need to cancel Gaussian noise?

Gaussian noise can interfere with the accuracy and reliability of data in scientific experiments and measurements. By canceling Gaussian noise, we can improve the signal-to-noise ratio and obtain more precise results.

3. How is Gaussian noise canceled?

Gaussian noise can be canceled in various ways, depending on the context and the type of data. Some common methods include filtering techniques, adaptive algorithms, and statistical approaches such as signal averaging.

4. Can Gaussian noise be completely eliminated?

Noise cancellation techniques can significantly reduce the impact of Gaussian noise, but it cannot be completely eliminated. There will always be some level of background noise present in any data, and it is important to consider this in data analysis and interpretation.

5. Is Gaussian noise the only type of noise that can be canceled?

No, there are other types of noise that can be canceled, such as impulse noise, periodic noise, and colored noise. Each type of noise requires specific methods for cancellation, and it is important to identify the type of noise present in order to choose the most effective approach.