Who Are the 2022 Ig Nobel Prize Winners and What Are Their Research Topics?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nobel prize
In summary, the Applied Cardiology Prize was given to researchers who found that when new romantic partners meet for the first time, and feel attracted to each other, their heart rates synchronize. The Literature Prize was given to a researcher who analyzed what makes legal documents unnecessarily difficult to understand. The Physics Prize was given to a researcher who tried to understanding how ducklings manage to swim in formation. The Safety Engineering Prize was given to a researcher who developed an algorithm to help gossipers decide when to tell the truth and when to lie. The Peace Prize was given to a researcher who developed an algorithm to help people resolve conflict. The Art History Prize was given to a researcher who analyzed ritual enema scenes on ancient Maya pottery.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
  • Medicine Prize ... discovered that people taking the cancer drug melphalan reported that a common side effect of the treatment—irritation in the mouth known as oral mucositis—could be prevented if the patients slowly ate ice cream or popsicles during their melphalan infusions.
  • Applied Cardiology “for seeking and finding evidence that when new romantic partners meet for the first time, and feel attracted to each other, their heart rates synchronize”
  • Biology Prize for their study of how constipation affects the scorpions’ ability to mate
  • Physics Prize for “trying to understand how ducklings manage to swim in formation.”
  • Safety Engineering Prize. ... The thesis, naturally titled Moose Crash Test Dummy, has made quite an impact
  • Literature Prize “for analyzing what makes legal documents unnecessarily difficult to understand”
  • Peace Prize. “for developing an algorithm to help gossipers decide when to tell the truth and when to lie”
  • Art History Prize for “A Multidisciplinary Approach to Ritual Enema Scenes on Ancient Maya Pottery”

https://improbable.com/ig/winners/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier, OmCheeto, topsquark and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to have to read that paper -- it seems pretty strange to me...

APPLIED CARDIOLOGY PRIZE [CZECH REPUBLIC, THE NETHERLANDS, UK, SWEDEN, ARUBA]

Eliska Prochazkova, Elio Sjak-Shie, Friederike Behrens, Daniel Lindh, and Mariska Kret, for seeking and finding evidence that when new romantic partners meet for the first time, and feel attracted to each other, their heart rates synchronize.

REFERENCE: “Physiological Synchrony is Associated with Attraction in a Blind Date Setting,” Eliska Prochazkova, Elio Sjak-Shie, Friederike Behrens, Daniel Lindh, and Mariska E. Kret, Nature Human Behaviour, vol. 6, no. 2, 2022, pp. 269-278.
<https://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-021-01197-3>

WHO TOOK PART IN THE CEREMONY: Eliska Prochazkova, Mariska Kret

berkeman said:
I'm going to have to read that paper -- it seems pretty strange to me...
Pretty Strange!? How would that even work?
Ok I have not read it but just reading the title sounds like Deepak woo woo.

pinball1970 said:
How would that even work?
My question exactly. Maybe if I took her pulse at the same time I was taking mine, and sped up or slowed my heart rate to try to synchronize them I could come close, but how could you possibly phase lock them? I guess one of us is going to have to read the article. Rho-sham-bo!

Likes pinball1970
berkeman said:
My question exactly. Maybe if I took her pulse at the same time I was taking mine, and sped up or slowed my heart rate to try to synchronize them I could come close, but how could you possibly phase lock them? I guess one of us is going to have to read the article. Rho-sham-bo!
Yes two issues.
Say I am relaxed but my partner is anxious? In tears? Has been waiting for me to finish work so I can get there and calm her down? I am ok, I feel better that I am there for her and she has gone from hysterical outpouring to sobbing to just crying. A bit stressful but you know once she gets it out of her system she will be good. Your heart rate will increase a little bit, increased volume of her voice, higher frequencies, I get that but will your heart rate match hers? Why? Our shared experiences do not equate to an identical physiological level like heart rate. Two guys doing the same run will have different heart rate and BP all the way through.
Second issue, just say my body does match my partner exactly. Due to love, aura or woo woo.
How does one system coordinate with the other? Reset?

There is nothing in the paper about heart rate phase synchronization. I think this is a case of the headline being juiced a bit to sell the product.

The Ig Nobels are a lot of fun.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Hey, if the IgNobels can't misrepresent research, who can?

Likes topsquark
Hornbein said:
Hey, if the IgNobels can't misrepresent research, who can?
When I read the title my brain skipped the "Ig," then I started to read the some of the candidates.
Something did not seem right!

• Haha
Likes BillTre, anorlunda and berkeman

1. What is the Ig Nobel Prize?

The Ig Nobel Prize is a parody of the Nobel Prize, given out every year by the magazine Annals of Improbable Research. It celebrates unusual or trivial achievements in scientific research that "first make people laugh, and then make them think".

2. When will the 2022 Ig Nobel Prize results be announced?

The 2022 Ig Nobel Prize results will be announced in September 2022, as it is typically held around the same time as the Nobel Prize ceremony.

3. Who decides the winners of the Ig Nobel Prize?

The winners of the Ig Nobel Prize are chosen by a panel of past Ig Nobel Prize winners, Nobel laureates, and other notable scientists and public figures.

4. What types of research are eligible for the Ig Nobel Prize?

Any research that is unusual, imaginative, and humorous can be considered for the Ig Nobel Prize. It can be from any field of science, as long as it is published in a peer-reviewed journal or presented at a scientific conference.

5. What are some past winners of the Ig Nobel Prize?

Some past winners of the Ig Nobel Prize include a study on the effects of wearing socks on a banana peel, research on the personality traits of rocks, and a study on the best way to dunk a biscuit in tea. These may seem silly, but they also have a serious side that makes people think about the world in a different way.