Who developed this equation, Pauli?

• Thread starter PhilDSP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pauli
In summary, the earliest instance I've seen to this equation, involving the Pauli matrices, is from a 1967 paper by J. M. Levy-Leblond. It seems general and useful enough that it must have been discovered earlier, and 1846 is early enough for you?
PhilDSP
The earliest instance I've seen to this equation, involving the Pauli matrices, is from a 1967 paper by J. M. Levy-Leblond. But it seems general and useful enough that it must have been discovered earlier:

[itex](\sigma \cdot A)(\sigma \cdot B) = A \cdot B + i \sigma \cdot (A \times B)[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhilDSP said:
The earliest instance I've seen to this equation, involving the Pauli matrices, is from a 1967 paper by J. M. Levy-Leblond. But it seems general and useful enough that it must have been discovered earlier:

[itex](\sigma \cdot A)(\sigma \cdot B) = A \cdot B + i \sigma \cdot (A \times B)[/itex]

Actually, it turns out that this equation is mathematically the same as the equations of geometric algebra, developed by Clifford in the late 1800s, which in turn is a generalization of Hamilton's quaternions.

Pauli introduced spin matrices in 1925, but I'm not sure if he knew about geometric algebras, or whether it was a case of rediscovery.

Hi PhilDSP! :smile:
PhilDSP said:

is 1846 early enough for you?

see http://www.emis.ams.org/classics/Hamilton/OnQuat.pdf for a reprint of william rowan hamilton's original papers

at page 19 of the .pdf (page 16 of the book) …

21. The fundamental rules of multiplication in this calculus give, in the recent notation, for the scalar and vector parts of the product of any two vectors, the expressions …​
… the formula is given, albeit in different notation, essentially AB = S.AB + V.AB = -A.B + iA×B :wink:

(i think this comes originally from The London, Edinburgh and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science (3rd Series), vol. xxix (1846), pp. 26-31, but that volume doesn't seem to be on google e-books yet)

Thanks stevendaryl and tiny-tim!

Yes, I have *lots* of material on quaternions and quaternion algebra. But nothing from the original papers by Hamilton so the link provided will be interesting. Levy-Leblond used that equation (with Pauli matrices) to give a derivation of Pauli's linearization of the Schrödinger equation but I'm not sure if Pauli did also.

P.S. According to Wikipedia, Pauli's material is (1927) Zur Quantenmechanik des magnetischen Elektrons Zeitschrift für Physik (43) 601-623. Since I'd have to struggle to understand the paper in German, I'm hesitant to seek it out if it doesn't answer the question posed.

Last edited:

1. Who is Pauli and why is he associated with this equation?

Wolfgang Pauli was a renowned physicist who is best known for his work in quantum mechanics. He developed the famous "Pauli exclusion principle" which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle is fundamental to our understanding of the electronic structure of atoms, and the associated equation is named after him.

2. What is the "Pauli Exclusion Principle" and how does it relate to the equation?

The Pauli exclusion principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. This principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The associated equation, known as the Pauli equation, helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms, as it takes into account the effects of the exclusion principle.

3. How did Pauli develop this equation?

Pauli developed the Pauli equation through his work in quantum mechanics and his understanding of the behavior of fermions. He used mathematical techniques and principles to derive the equation, which has since become an important tool in understanding the electronic structure of atoms.

4. What is the significance of the Pauli equation in modern physics?

The Pauli equation is considered one of the most important equations in modern physics as it helps us understand the electronic structure of atoms and the behavior of fermions. It has applications in various fields such as chemistry, materials science, and solid-state physics, and is essential in our understanding of the microscopic world.

5. Are there any other equations or principles named after Pauli?

Yes, in addition to the Pauli exclusion principle and the Pauli equation, there are several other equations and principles named after Pauli. These include the Pauli matrices, the Pauli spinor, and the Pauli–Lubanski pseudovector. These concepts are all fundamental in quantum mechanics and have contributed greatly to our understanding of the subatomic world.