Who do you think can be the Physics Nobel Prize winer tomorrow?

In summary, the Nobel Prize in Physics is by invitation only, with confidential forms sent to qualified individuals. The names of nominees and other information are not revealed until 50 years later. The Nobel Prizes for Physiology or Medicine, Physics, Chemistry, Literature, and Peace are announced on different days throughout the week of October 5-9. The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel is announced on October 12. This year's winners include Charles K. Kao and Willard S. Boyle and George E. Smith for their achievements in optical communication and the invention of the CCD sensor, respectively. Both Kao and Boyle have dual citizenship, with Kao holding British citizenship and Boyle holding Canadian dual
Osiris
Just guess and imagine...

Nomination for the Nobel Prize in Physics
http://nobelprize.org/nomination/physics/

Nomination to the Nobel Prize in Physics is by invitation only. The Nobel Committee for Physics sends confidential forms to persons who are competent and qualified to nominate. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the OP is from the US, then no one will be awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics tomorrow. That will not happen until Tuesday. Tomorrow, Monday, October 5, will be Physiology or Medicine. The award will be announced in about 10 hrs and 22 min.

Physiology or Medicine - Monday, October 5, 11:30 a.m. CET at the earliest
Physics - Tuesday, October 6, 11:45 a.m. CET at the earliest
Chemistry - Wednesday, October 7, 11:45 a.m. CET at the earliest
Literature - Thursday, October 8, 1:00 p.m. CET at the earliest
Peace - Friday, October 9, 11:00 a.m. CET

Announcement of the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel will be held on Monday, October 12, 1:00 p.m. CET at the earliest.

I'm most interested in the Peace Prize this year.

Last edited:
I suspect there will be a lot of Physics Nobel prize w(h)iners after Tuesday. "Waah! I didn't get it this year!" :cry:

(sorry, couldn't resist the temptation! :devil:)

Aharonov and Berry

And the winners of the 2009 Noble Prize in Physics are:

Charles K. Kao "for groundbreaking achievements concerning the transmission of light in fibers for optical communication" and

Willard S. Boyle and George E. Smith "for the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit – the CCD sensor"

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2009/" [Broken]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_K._Kao" [Broken] - "for groundbreaking achievements concerning the transmission of light in fibers for optical communication" (1/2 Prize);

AND

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Boyle" [Broken] - "for the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit – the CCD sensor" (1/4 Prize each).

Congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Astronuc,

Sorry, I've sent my post almost at the same time as yours, so I didn't see it!

In any case, my post provides links for the winners... o:)

ap is reporting that it was 3 americans, even though willard boyle was born in nova scotia, educated at mcgill & has been living in nova scotia for the last 30 years.

fourier jr said:
ap is reporting that it was 3 americans, even though willard boyle was born in nova scotia, educated at mcgill & has been living in nova scotia for the last 30 years.
That makes him an American - just not a US American

fourier jr said:

American citizen = American

I think Kao and Boyle have dual citizenship...British and Canadian, respectively.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i3XIvCMK5m2-zgaaij7idDWxsAeQ" [Broken]

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said all three have American citizenship although Kao also holds British citizenship while Boyle is a Canadian dual national.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said all three have American citizenship although Kao also holds British citizenship while Boyle is a Canadian dual national.
What's that Einstein quote?
"If relativity is proved right, the Germans will call me a German, the Swiss will call me a Swiss, and the French will call me a citizen of the world. If relativity is proved wrong, the French will call me a Swiss, the Swiss will call me a German, and the Germans will call me a Jew."

McGill are busy congratulating themselves but Imperial haven't got round to claiming Kao as one of their own - the student that knows html must have gone home.

It's a shame that the CCD guys have ha to wait until CCDs have been almost phased out to get their prize, CCDs have certainly enabled a bunch of other noble prizes.

Willard Boyle was born in Amherst Nova Scotia, which is a couple of hours down the road from where I now live, and Boyle now lives in Halifax, which is about four hours down the road. My wife and I have friends (with whom we sometimes stay overnight) in both of these places.

When was the last time a theoretical physicist got Nobel prize?

jobyts said:
When was the last time a theoretical physicist got Nobel prize?

Last year.

I feel this year's Physics Nobel prize looks more of an engineering achievement and less Physics.

jobyts said:
I feel this year's Physics Nobel prize looks more of an engineering achievement and less Physics.

The prize is for
most important discovery or invention within the field of physics
-

mgb_phys said:
[...] have certainly enabled a bunch of other noble prizes.
Duct tape as well :tongue2:

1. Who decides the Physics Nobel Prize winner?

The Physics Nobel Prize winner is decided by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

2. How is the Physics Nobel Prize winner chosen?

The Physics Nobel Prize winner is chosen based on their outstanding contributions to the field of physics through groundbreaking research or discoveries.

3. When will the Physics Nobel Prize winner be announced?

The Physics Nobel Prize winner is typically announced in early October each year.

4. Can the Physics Nobel Prize be awarded to multiple individuals?

Yes, the Physics Nobel Prize can be awarded to up to three individuals who have contributed equally to the same achievement.

5. What is the significance of winning the Physics Nobel Prize?

Winning the Physics Nobel Prize is considered one of the highest honors in the field of science and can greatly impact a scientist's career and reputation.