Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who first solved the hydrogen atom in quantum mechanics?

1. Aug 5, 2012 #1
    is it pauli or schrodinger?

is there any original reference?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2012 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

afaik it was Pauli; he studied the operator algebra of the Hydrogen atom which can be mapped to an SO(4) algebra generated by the angular momentum and the Lenz-Runge operator, from which the spectrum can be derived exactly; however this does not include the solution fort the wave functions

1926, Zeitschrift für Physik, volume 36, page 336

4. Aug 5, 2012 #3
    I second Pauli, I remember reading a collection of papers from the beginnings of QM and iirc Pauli did it first.

5. Aug 5, 2012 #4
    Schrödinger did it in 1926 too, his paper was received January 27. E. Schrödinger: „Quantisierung als Eigenwertproblem I“, Annalen der Physik 79 (1926).

6. Aug 5, 2012 #5

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

For Pauli I find "1926, Zeitschrift für Physik, volume 36, page 336-363" with the remark "Abgeschlossen [completed] im Oktober 1925"

7. Aug 6, 2012 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was Pauli, but it doesn't really matter, because the two methods could not have been any more different. It's just like the case of the <Einstein field equations> of GR which were first published by David Hilbert, but the derivation method was different than the method of Einstein.

So the issue of <who was first> is really not that important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook