Who is better at Math, a physicist or a mathematician?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for physicists and mathematicians to excel in each other's field as self-taught individuals. It also mentions the importance of personal preferences and mindset in determining success in a particular subject. The conversation also touches on the idea that people are unique and cannot be categorized solely based on their discipline. It ends with a discussion about individuals who have excelled in both fields, such as Ed Witten who won the Fields medal, a prestigious award in mathematics.
timpani
Who is better in Math?

I was told that a physicist may be a good autodidact mathematician, but a mathematician may be a mediocre autodidact physicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
timpani said:
I was told that a physicist may be a good autodidact mathematician, but a mathematician may be a mediocre autodidact physicist.

Most physicists who teach themselves pure mathematics are mathematicians at heart, i.e. they have the mindset and the taste for mathematical rigour that is required for high level pure math. I suppose it goes the other way around too: a mathematician can have a taste and mindset for physics, and therefore be able to teach it to himself. I think it all comes down to that really, both fields have extremely intelligent and capable people, but their personal preferences are not the same.
It might be less common for a mathematician to like physics, but I can't say if that's true for sure.

Last edited:
timpani said:

And both may be mediocre cooks. Or mediocre crooks. Or whatever.

People are different, so yes, you will probably find examples for every such a statement.

Likes S.G. Janssens and billy_joule
Do not exclude the other disciplines. Some engineers (Kálmán, Luenberger,...) are better at mathematics that some mathematicians will likely ever be.

Come to think of it, on this forum I go by name of an engineer, although in my mind he is more of an early numerical analyst.

Last edited:
Ed Witten, ostensibly a physicist, (but a history major in undergrad), won the highest award in mathematics, the Fields medal. Has any mathematician ever won (or deserved) a physics award? (Gauss, Riemann, Archimedes, Arnol'd?)

1. Who typically has a stronger foundation in mathematical concepts, a physicist or a mathematician?

Both physicists and mathematicians have strong foundations in mathematical concepts. However, their approaches to using math may differ. Physicists tend to use math as a tool to solve real-world problems, while mathematicians focus on developing and proving abstract theories.

2. Do physicists or mathematicians have a better understanding of advanced mathematical topics?

It is difficult to determine which group has a better understanding of advanced mathematical topics. Both physicists and mathematicians have expertise in different areas of math, and their level of understanding may vary depending on their specialization and research interests.

3. Who is more likely to excel in complex mathematical problem-solving, a physicist or a mathematician?

Again, it is challenging to determine who is more likely to excel in complex mathematical problem-solving. Both physicists and mathematicians have strong problem-solving skills, but their approaches may differ. Physicists may be more skilled at applying mathematical concepts to physical phenomena, while mathematicians may excel at abstract problem-solving.

4. Are physicists or mathematicians better at developing new mathematical theories?

Both physicists and mathematicians have contributed significantly to developing new mathematical theories. However, their approaches may differ. Physicists may be more focused on developing theories to explain and predict physical phenomena, while mathematicians may be more interested in creating new abstract concepts and structures.

5. Which profession has more job opportunities for individuals with advanced mathematical skills, physics or mathematics?

Both physics and mathematics offer numerous job opportunities for individuals with advanced mathematical skills. Physicists may find more job opportunities in research and development, while mathematicians may have more opportunities in academia and industry fields such as computer science and finance.