Who was the first to find an initial singularity in GR models of the universe?

In summary, Georges Lemaitre was the first person to discuss a singularity in cosmology, although his work was not explicitly about an infinite density in the universe.
windy miller
I have a question about the history of cosmology, hope its okay to ask here. Who was the first person since Einstein's Gr to point out a singularity in cosmology? I know Freidman talked of an expanding universe and Lematire a primeval atom. But were there any explicit mentions of the density of the universe going to infinity in these early papers? If not who was the first?

Space news on Phys.org
windy miller said:
Who was the first person since Einstein's Gr to point out a singularity in cosmology?

Your thread title says "singularity theorems". Are you interested in the theorems, or just in who first discovered a curvature singularity in a solution to the Einstein Field Equation?

I am beginning to think these precedent questions are indeterminate. As a Jesuit scholar Georges Lemaitre wrote and discussed such questions in contemporary letters and lectures. How does one assign precedence in ongoing correspondence? Or presume to know the contents of unrecorded lectures and conversations?

Also consider astronomer Karl Schwarzschild's publications and letters before his untimely death from illness while serving in WWI. The link lacks detail but his letters may be available in German.

PeterDonis said:
Your thread title says "singularity theorems". Are you interested in the theorems, or just in who first discovered a curvature singularity in a solution to the Einstein Field Equation?
Im interested in curvature singularities especially in a cosmological setting,

windy miller said:
Im interested in curvature singularities especially in a cosmological setting

This doesn't answer my question. Read what I asked again.

Maybe I can be a little clearer i would like to know who was the first to analyse Einsteins equations and conclude that if we trace the history of the an expanding universe back int time we get to a point of infinite density . I know Friedman considered an expanding universe but i don't know if he traced it back to an infinite density in the finite past. I know Lemaitre talked of a primordial atom and a day without a yesterday but don't know if he derived that from an infinite density . Is my question clearer now?

windy miller said:
i would like to know who was the first to analyse Einsteins equations and conclude that if we trace the history of the an expanding universe back int time we get to a point of infinite density .

Ok. I have edited the thread title to better reflect this question.

I don't know if Friedmann's initial paper (in 1922 IIRC) pointed out that there was an initial singularity with infinite density in the model. I believe that by the 1930's a number of cosmologists, including Friedmann, Robertson, Walker, and Milne, were aware that the class of models they were considering had initial singularities with infinite density, but I don't know how much attention they paid to that property. My impression is that they were more concerned about how to interpret the equations physically at times in the model corresponding to "now" (or near that); it was not at all clear at that time to many physicists how to do that.

Likes Klystron and windy miller
Thanks for your reply Peter and the re editing of the question. If anyone else can offer more insights , even a first reference that would be awesome but answer so far is much appreciated.

1. What is an initial singularity in GR models of the universe?

An initial singularity is a theoretical point in time at which the universe was infinitely dense and hot, and all matter and energy were compressed into a single point. It is the starting point of the universe according to the Big Bang theory.

2. Who was the first to propose the idea of an initial singularity in GR models of the universe?

The concept of an initial singularity was first proposed by physicist and mathematician Georges Lemaître in the 1920s. He used Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the expansion of the universe and suggested that it began from a single point.

3. How does general relativity explain the existence of an initial singularity in the universe?

According to general relativity, the universe is expanding and the further back in time we go, the more the universe contracts. This expansion can be traced back to a single point, which is the initial singularity. At this point, the laws of physics as we know them break down and we cannot accurately describe what happened.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of an initial singularity in the universe?

While there is no direct evidence of the initial singularity, there is strong evidence to support the Big Bang theory, which includes the concept of an initial singularity. The cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the observed expansion of the universe all provide evidence for the Big Bang and the existence of an initial singularity.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the initial singularity in GR models of the universe?

Yes, there are alternative theories such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating universe theory. These theories propose that the universe has always existed and is in a constant state of expansion and contraction, without the need for an initial singularity. However, the majority of scientific evidence supports the Big Bang theory and the concept of an initial singularity.