Who was the great scientist killed in World War 1?

• Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, Borg said that the great scientist killed in world war 1 was Henry Moseley and that he might have won a Nobel Prize. He also said that it was foolishness for Moseley to volunteer for the military and that his sacrifice had impact on only a few lives. Dipole disagreed with Borg and said that the nameless sons, brothers, husbands who sacrificed their lives were just not brave enough.
bluemoonKY
When i took chemistry in high school, i remember one time the teacher mentioned a great scientist who made the discoveries for the aspects of chemistry that we were studying. This chemist made some sort of huge breakthroughs in chemistry sometime before November 1918. He might have won a Nobel Prize. My teacher then mentioned that he was killed in World War 1. My teacher said that it was real wasteful that this great chemist was killed. My impression is that this great chemist was killed in action in world war 1 as opposed to being a soldier who died of disease.

Who is the great scientist killed in world war 1 who my teacher was probably talking about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, Borg. I think you are right that Henry Moseley is was she was talking about.

This, from the wiki article, is interesting:

Because of Moseley's death in World War I, the British governmentinstituted a policy of no longer allowing its prominent and promising scientists to enlist for combat duty in the armed forces of the Crown.[4]

Moseley had, unfortunately, volunteered for the military.

Likes Tosh5457
Zoobyshoe, i agree. It was foolishness.

I think it's sad that when someone whose name we recognize dies in war - we reflect on how needless and wasteful wars are. When millions of common and unfamiliar names die, we carry on beating the drum like they never existed.

Likes russ_watters, 256bits and Ryan_m_b
Dipole, that's because Moseley had a lot more potential to improve other humans' lives than most of those other common & unfamiliar names.

zoobyshoe said:
Moseley had, unfortunately, volunteered for the military.

So in light of the British policy of then blocking enlistment of promising scientists he might be said to have saved the lives of many fellow scientists. The sacrifice of one to save many is a significant part of bravery.

BoB

bluemoonKY said:
Dipole, that's because Moseley had a lot more potential to improve other humans' lives than most of those other common & unfamiliar names.

You say that like dying in a French field was the most those soldiers could have achieved in life. Which is absolute nonsense. Out of those millions in sure there are plenty that could have done so much more than die of gunshot and disease before they'd even reached their mid twenties.

Likes phinds, russ_watters and 256bits
rbelli1 said:
So in light of the British policy of then blocking enlistment of promising scientists he might be said to have saved the lives of many fellow scientists. The sacrifice of one to save many is a significant part of bravery.

BoB
I guess the nameless sons, brothers, husbands who sacrificed their lives were just not brave enough, since they had impact on only a few lives, only nameless mothers, fathers, children, siblings, loved ones, who could only suffer their loss and grief in silence.

Likes Ryan_m_b
256bits said:
I guess the nameless sons, brothers, husbands who sacrificed their lives were just not brave enough, since they had impact on only a few lives, only nameless mothers, fathers, children, siblings, loved ones, who could only suffer their loss and grief in silence.
One thing has nothing to do with the other, and your comparison was wrong. What you were replying to was a argument against the idea that his life was wasted (or his choice foolish) and has nothing whatsoever to do with whether other people were also brave. You also miss the mark on the "impact": the statement you were replying to was about impacting lives on the battlefield, not the homefront. Quite obviously others on the battlefield had similar contributions.

I find it distasteful that several people here are fumbling into generic statements/arguments about the horrors of war and ignoring the simple issue of the thread. It's disrespectful to the sacrifice Moseley and millions of others made.

Likes rbelli1 and Imager

1. Who was the great scientist killed in World War 1?

The great scientist killed in World War 1 was Marie Curie. She was a physicist and chemist who made groundbreaking discoveries in the field of radioactivity, and was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize.

2. How did Marie Curie die?

Marie Curie died from complications of aplastic anemia, which was caused by her prolonged exposure to radiation during her research. She passed away on July 4, 1934 at the age of 66.

3. What were Marie Curie's contributions to science?

Marie Curie's contributions to science were significant and groundbreaking. She discovered two new radioactive elements, polonium and radium, and developed techniques for isolating radioactive isotopes. Her work laid the foundation for modern nuclear physics and medicine.

4. Was Marie Curie the only scientist killed in World War 1?

No, Marie Curie was not the only scientist killed in World War 1. There were many other scientists who lost their lives during the war, including chemist Fritz Haber and mathematician Felix Hausdorff. However, Marie Curie's death was particularly notable due to her contributions to science and the fact that she was a woman in a male-dominated field.

5. How is Marie Curie remembered today?

Marie Curie is remembered today as a pioneering scientist and a symbol of female empowerment in the sciences. She has been honored with numerous awards and her legacy continues to inspire future generations of scientists.