Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Who was the observer for the first 10 billion years?

1. Jul 4, 2016 #1
    If reality requires an observer, and life on Earth is only 3.8 billion years old- yet the universe is 13.8 billion years old, who was the observer for the first 10 billion years?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2016 #2
    Reality does not require an observer.

4. Jul 4, 2016 #3
    So when we say "A particle has neither a definite position nor a definite velocity unless and until those quantities are measured by an observer" it doesn't mean for reality in general- just specific particles?

5. Jul 4, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In the words of Tonto, "What you mean we?" I have never said such a thing, because it's not correct. A human observer is not required.

6. Jul 4, 2016 #5
    Ahh ok, I got the quote from a Stephen Hawking book, I thought it may just be the generally agreed upon stance?

7. Jul 4, 2016 #6
    Ohh yeah- and I never said human ;)

8. Jul 4, 2016 #7

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Then we are talking about quantum mechanics, not cosmology, and you should spend some time actually learning QM from a textbook.

Which, since I'm assuming it was a pop science book (because Hawking doesn't say anything like this in any actual peer-reviewed literature), is not an acceptable source when you want to discuss the actual science. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook