How can we see 45B ly away if the universe is only 13B years

In summary, the observable universe is approximately 90 billion light-years across and 13.8 billion years old. A light-year is the distance that light and fields travel in one year, so the light from objects 13.8 billion light-years away should be 13.8 billion years old. However, because the universe is expanding, the light and objects are actually much farther away from us now. This means that there are three distances to consider when observing light from distant objects: the light travel distance, the distance at the time of emission, and the distance at the time of observation. Currently, the farthest distance at emission that we can observe is approximately 5.8 billion light-years.
unwillingly ignorant
I'm sure this is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer.. But i can't come up with it..

So, the observable universe is ment to be 90 billion lightyears across, right?
And it's 13.8 billion years old, right?
And a lightyear is the distance it takes for light and fields and stuff to reach us in a year, right?
So the light and stuff from the things of 13.8 billion lightyears away should be 13.8 billion lightyears old, and as it was at the bang in all directions around us...right..?
How could we see further than that?

Space news on Phys.org
It is because the universe is expanding. We can only see what used to be some 13 billion ly away from us, but that thing we are seeing is now much farther away from us because of the expansion.

DrClaude said:
It is because the universe is expanding. We can only see what used to be some 13 billion ly away from us, but that thing we are seeing is now much farther away from us because of the expansion.

that was my first thought but it doesn't seem to make sense in my head as the light would still have to be over 13B years old even if that stuff it's coming from used to be near us.. Am I just being dense?

unwillingly ignorant said:
How could we see further than that?
Imagine an ant walking on some surface. Say, it walks at ##V=1 cm/s##. It starts at point A and wants to go to point B, which are 100 cm apart. The distance it covers is ##D=V*t##. After ##t=100 s##, it will have arrived at B. This is analogous to light traveling through non-expanding space.

Now, imagine the surface the ant is walking on is a rubber band that is slowly being stretched as the ant walks. Two things will be different than the previous case:
1) the and will not have reached point B in 100 s, as during its walk point B was continuously receding. It needs more than 100 s to get there - how long depends on the rate of expansion of the rubber band
2) by the time the ant reaches the target, the distance between A and B will be larger than both the original distance (when the ant started walking) and than the distance the ant 'covered' - i.e. the distance you'd get from calculating ##D=V*t##

This means, that in the expanding universe, of which the second case described above was an analogy, there are three distances to the source of observed light that one needs to consider:
- the 'light travel distance' (I've put it in scare quotes, because it's not really a useful measure of anything physical, it's just what you'd get from ##D=V*t##)
- the distance at the time of emission
- the distance at the time of observation

In the particular case of our universe and the light from the farthest observable objects (CMBR) took ~14 billion years to get here, so its light travel distance is 14 billion light-years.
The distance at the time of emission was approx. 40 million light-years (note, million, not billion).
The distance at the time of reception is ~45 billion light-years.

DrClaude said:
We can only see what used to be some 13 billion ly away from us,
Ah, but we can't (yet). Of all the light currently observed, the farthest distance at emission was approx. 5 Gly, if I'm eyeballing the following graph correctly:
expansion proper distance only L&D.PNG

Likes stoomart, unwillingly ignorant and DrClaude
Yup, i was being pretty dense.. But i totally get it now! Thank you!

Bandersnatch said:
Ah, but we can't (yet). Of all the light currently observed, the farthest distance at emission was approx. 5 Gly, if I'm eyeballing the following graph correctly:
I wrote "some 13 GLy" to give me some wiggle room, but I was far off the mark. Thanks for the clarification!

Bandersnatch said:
View attachment 113148
Correct. Here is a better resolution with the latest data. The past light-cone (Dthen) max distance is about 5.8 Gly, at time 4.2 Gy, which one can read off most accurately form the tabular output of the calculator.
upload_2017-2-14_8-56-38.png

Likes Bandersnatch

1. How is it possible to see objects that are 45 billion light years away when the universe is only 13 billion years old?

The key factor to understanding this is the concept of the speed of light. Light travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This means that in one year, light can travel approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers. This is how we measure distances in space. So, when we say an object is 45 billion light years away, it means that the light from that object has been traveling for 45 billion years to reach us. This light started its journey long before the universe was 13 billion years old.

2. How do we know that the light from these objects has been traveling for 45 billion years?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to measure the age of the universe and the distances of objects in space. These include the study of cosmic background radiation, the expansion of the universe, and the redshift of light from distant galaxies. By combining these methods, scientists can accurately determine the age of the universe and the distance of objects, even if they are billions of light years away.

3. Is the light we see from these distant objects the same as what it was when it first left the object?

No, the light from these distant objects has undergone changes during its long journey to reach us. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the light to stretch and appear more redshifted than it originally was. Scientists can use this redshift to estimate the distance of the object and also learn about its composition and movement.

4. If the universe is expanding, will we ever be able to see objects that are currently beyond our observable universe?

The observable universe is the part of the universe that we can see and study with our current technology. It is constantly expanding as the universe expands. However, there are parts of the universe that are currently beyond our observable universe. As the universe continues to expand, it is possible that some of these objects will eventually come into our observable universe, allowing us to see them.

5. What implications does this have on our understanding of the universe and its age?

The fact that we can see objects that are 45 billion light years away, even though the universe is only 13 billion years old, raises questions about the expansion rate of the universe and the possibility of multiverses or parallel universes. It also challenges our understanding of the concept of time and how it works in the vast expanse of the universe. Further research and advancements in technology will continue to expand our understanding of the universe and its mysteries.