Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who's good at identifying bugs ?

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    Anyone know what it could be ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2009 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
    I found it in my reservoir tank in my aquaponics system. It probably got drained out from the "grow bed". A grow bed is a gravel-filled container where plants will be growing. The grow bed constantly gets flooded with water from a fish tank via water pump and then drains into a reservoir. And then from the reservoir, where the water pump is located, will pump the water back into the fish tank and the cycle repeats.

The only closest thing I can choose from that chart is that its either a mosquito larvae or a water-beetle larva. I really hope it's a water-beetle larva... since mosquitoes got bad rep, right? I think it resembles more of the water-beetle larva though...

Too bad that chart didn't list the sizes. This one I found is roughly 1/8" long.

How would I grow this thing? Maybe I can identify it after it grows.

5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't believe mosquito larvae have pairs of legs on the first 3 segments. That excludes the mosquito.
    A water beetle is a good guess, perhaps the http://www.bgsd.k12.wa.us/hml/jr_cam/macros/efl_spr06/efl_spr06.html" [Broken]. (scroll down that page)
    "[URL [Broken]
    Caddisfly[/URL] larvae also have 3 pairs of legs on 1st three segments. (scroll down to 'Order Trichoptera'). They like fast moving water from which they filter plankton to eat.

Larvae generally go through several molts (in star) stages, getting larger with each successive stage, so the 1/8in long larva, may be one of the intermediary stages. If you want see the adult; it is finding food where you found it, just let it grow. You probably want to put fine screening material around the tank, such that the adult won't be able to fly away, until after you've studied it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook