Who's that surgeon to the 'son'? Brain Puzzle

  • Thread starter Thread starter powergirl
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 7K views
jimmysnyder said:
For reference, here is the problem with the answer in message #7. Don't read it unless you give up on finding it.
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter (he means grandmother) and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

I am pretty sure he meant that there was a mother of a daughter, and then a granddaughter who was the daughter of the daughter... Thus the daughter cannot possibly be the "grandmother". lol.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cristo said:
If I rephrased it like this, would you be happier?
Ecstatic.

Text added to satisfy a curious criterion.
 
I don't get it... they are the same thing and I posted and reworded it for cristo beforehand and you said it was wrong...
 
Hmm, a curious piece of "marking." I hope you're not a teacher jimmy, or else no one will be passing your exams! :biggrin:
 
Yeah, see... this is crazy. Cristo's first answer is EXACTLY what you wrote, just worded differently:

cristo said:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

He states there are three people. For the sake of argument, let's call them Gloria, Mealanie, and Deborah. Gloria is the mother of Melanie, and the grandmother of Deborah. Mealanie is the daughter of Gloria and the mother of Deborah. Deborah is the daughter of Mealanie and the granddaughter of Gloria.

In cristo's wording, he lists them as Deborah, Mealanie, Gloria. He calls Deborah a granddaughter, which is totally accurate. He calls Mealanie a daughter, which is totally accurate. He calls Gloria a mother, which is ALSO totally accurate.

Just because he didn't say "Grandmother, Mother, Daughter" and instead chose to say "Granddaughter, Daughter, Mother" doesn't make him wrong.

Once I played Trivial Persuit against someone and was asked "What three colors are on Superman's suit?" I answered "Red, blue, and yellow". He immediately told me "No, it's red, yellow, blue! It says so right on the card!" And the sad thing was I absolutely could NOT convince him that the answer I gave was valid.

DaveE
 
No wonder some people couldn't see the error without my hint. They couldn't even see it with my hint. If you saw it, then ignore this message. If you can't ignore this message, at least wait a minute before you respond to it.


Wrong:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

Right:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The grandmother and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

It is nothing deeper than that. cristo saw it.
 
jimmysnyder said:
No wonder some people couldn't see the error without my hint. They couldn't even see it with my hint. If you saw it, then ignore this message. If you can't ignore this message, at least wait a minute before you respond to it.


Wrong:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

Right:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The grandmother and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

It is nothing deeper than that. cristo saw it.

Are you truly serious? They are the exact same thing! To argue that they are not is childish to the extreme. For one, you have to accept that the names are STATIC. Thus when you say the granddaughter, daughter and mother in the first one, the DAUGHTER is the daughter of the MOTHER, not the granddaughter. If the names are not static then the whole thing is pointless, but anyone can see that in all of the answers, the names were assumed to be static.

It is just different words for mother grandmother and granddaughter, it's like telling a german that his solution is incorrect because he called the grandmother a Großmutter.
 
Last edited:
jimmysnyder said:
No wonder some people couldn't see the error without my hint. They couldn't even see it with my hint. If you saw it, then ignore this message. If you can't ignore this message, at least wait a minute before you respond to it.


Wrong:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The daughter and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"

Right:
Granddaughter, daughter, mother. The grandmother and mother are "mothers." The granddaughter and daughter are the "daughters"


There is no way you can say that the first answer is wrong. Dave has confirmed this above, (and circles- he can obviously type faster than me!) but just to clarify.

In case 1. "The daughter and mother are mothers" is true, since the mother has a daughter (namely the daughter) and the daughter has a daughter (namely the granddaughter).

In your case, you simply redefine the names you give the people. You have called the "daughter" mother, and the "mother" grandmother.

I really hope you can see my point, but if not, I shall leave it- I don't want to start Dave's superman discussion!:rolleyes: edit: did that really happen? I feel for you being put in that situation!

It is nothing deeper than that. cristo saw it.

I didn't see that it was wrong, but I noticed that you couldn't see that there was no difference between the two!
 
Last edited:
cristo said:
I don't want to start Dave's superman discussion!:rolleyes: edit: did that really happen? I feel for you being put in that situation!

Oh, most definitely! It was somewhere around 7th or 8th grade (wow, almost 20 years ago now), I was winning (by at least 2 pie wedges) and that was the "final victory" question. So, in part, I assume he wouldn't yield because I was going to win otherwise. But I eventually gave up because I couldn't make any headway in the argument, and won a couple turns later.

DaveE
 
davee123 said:
I was winning (by at least 2 pie wedges) and that was the "final victory" question. So, in part, I assume he wouldn't yield because I was going to win otherwise.

I hope, for his sake, that this was the reason!

But I eventually gave up because I couldn't make any headway in the argument, and won a couple turns later.

DaveE

It never pays to cheat! (well, not in this case anyway!)