Calgary dad wins no-homework lawsuit for his kids

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kids
In summary: They're also not emotionally ready to learn those things. They're still in the process of learning how to learn.In summary, the Milleys have contracted with their children's school to eliminate homework entirely. They feel that the current homework load is a barrier to the children's educations and has negative consequences for both the children and the parents.
rootX said:
How come that is cheating?

I agree I don't think this is cheating it's just being smart. They probably took in the exact same amount of knowledge as you but did 1/10th the work. (Assuming they review the notes and trust that everyone has well written informed notes). You're decision might have best suited you but not everyone wants to waste their time doing that when their are much simpler ways. (It's like going to a lecture and you miss a few key points that the prof. or TA makes. So in the study hall you ask someone to look over their notes for things you might have missed... this isn't cheating)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry! said:
I agree I don't think this is cheating it's just being smart. They probably took in the exact same amount of knowledge as you but did 1/10th the work.

Actually, they might have learned even more by working in teams. The educational literature has included benefits of team learning for a long time.

I'm also curious about the "no homework" but "big project" approach. Was that big project done in class time, or did you do it on your own time? Because if you did it outside school, it WAS homework, just a different type of assignment. We had those when I was in school too, and they are a good thing for honors students to do. It's not such a great assignment for the more average students, though, because they aren't yet ready for such independent work, and still need to build the basics through rote memorization.

Moonbear said:
Actually, they might have learned even more by working in teams. The educational literature has included benefits of team learning for a long time.

I'm also curious about the "no homework" but "big project" approach. Was that big project done in class time, or did you do it on your own time? Because if you did it outside school, it WAS homework, just a different type of assignment. We had those when I was in school too, and they are a good thing for honors students to do. It's not such a great assignment for the more average students, though, because they aren't yet ready for such independent work, and still need to build the basics through rote memorization.

Hmm, schools in Ontario, at least in my region, it's mandatory that you do big projects like this for every course all through high school.

Mark break down was normally:
15% for the assignment
15% for exam
70% for term work.

Some courses changed this up at the senior level though for instance my philosophy class had the break down of:
30% assignment
30% exam (2 part exam which took one full class and then 2 hours during exam week)
40% term

The assignments were normally essays which you had to conduct your own research, experiments, collect data etc. on your own. They were always the most challenging part of the course and if you picked the right topic to study it was going to be the most interesting and fun part.

Sorry! said:
I agree I don't think this is cheating it's just being smart. They probably took in the exact same amount of knowledge as you but did 1/10th the work.

Not reading the material but only the notes on definitions of key terms taken down by other students? As far as public school usually goes that's probably about all you really need in order to pass the class but you are generally supposed to read the actual material and the testing on terms is only a gauge of whether or not you seem to have understood and retained some of that knowledge. Essentially they are doing what they need to do to pass a quiz and not actually learning the material.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Not reading the material but only the notes on definitions of key terms taken down by other students? As far as public school usually goes that's probably about all you really need in order to pass the class but you are generally supposed to read the actual material and the testing on terms is only a gauge of whether or not you seem to have understood and retained some of that knowledge. Essentially they are doing what they need to do to pass a quiz and not actually learning the material.

This was the way I saw it at the time. Sure, you can memorize the terms and pass the test, but to really understand things you need to read the chapter. I understand the other point of view.

And yes, the project was homework.

Chi Meson said:
"Hours of homework" for a 4th grader on a daily basis is too much, and I think every decent school district knows that.

A common rule of thumb is "grade times ten-minutes" through elementary school.

So you're admitting to giving too much homework. Honours physics is I assume Grade 12, which means 120 minutes of homework.

But you give 60 minutes. If every teacher did what you did, the students are DOOMED.

Chi Meson said:
I plan my assignments to take, on average, 1 hour to complete (that's high school Honors Physics). Every now and then I get the student who says "I spent over three hours on that homework last night." I say, "let me see what you did." If they actually can show me anything, I find aimless scribbles and half-hearted attempts. My next question would be something like "What were you watching?"

I think that may be part of the problem. You give 1 hour, their math teacher gives 1 hour, their english teacher gives 1 hour, etc. If everyones giving an hour of homework per class wheres the time for sports, clubs, work and fun coming from? Only a very small portion of students are going to thrive in such an environment, most will be completely turned off to school and stop carring. I understand your class is honors, but each teacher feels their material is just as important, if not more so, than the next and forget this isn't college and most of their students won't be going into that specific field after school anyway.

I rarely had more than a half hour of homework, I did it all during lunch and breaks during class time. I didn't have a choice in HS since after school I had 3-4 hours of practice or a competition and then work.

JasonRox said:
So you're admitting to giving too much homework. Honours physics is I assume Grade 12, which means 120 minutes of homework.

But you give 60 minutes. If every teacher did what you did, the students are DOOMED.

He said "through elementary school." Unless elementary school has changed a lot since I was in one, you have only one teacher per year through elementary school (sixth grade). Except (in my case) for the music teacher who came in only once a week or so.

When I was in high school nearly forty years ago, I regularly walked home with an armload of books for homework. Two miles. Uphill. In a blizzard. :wink:

Last edited:
I flat out refused to do any homework in High School because I felt I understood the underlying method they were teaching. That said I also refused to do practice problems in class or take any form of notes while the teacher was speaking.

The difference was I paid attention to what they were saying and made sure I understood it. I knew how I learned and enjoyed it. I did not benefit from the 'busy work' that was handed out. In fact I think a lot of people suffered for it, spending their time and energy getting it done instead of understanding what they were doing.

I did however do work when it was challenging, teaching yourself a knew topic, or applying things we learned in a new or difficult situation. In the end, all students are different, a one size fits all approach does not work.

jtbell said:
He said "through elementary school." Unless elementary school has changed a lot since I was in one, you have only one teacher per year through elementary school (sixth grade). Except (in my case) for the music teacher who came in only once a week or so.
That's how it was when I was in elementary school too. But even back when the Evo Child was in elemntary school, I think she had 5 teachers, they changed classes, I was shocked. Supposedly they think it's better to have different teachers for different subjects.

I don't know if that's a good thing for such young children. But maybe it's just because I had one main teacher, then one for music and one for Spanish. That's theree. I guess one for math and one for science can't hurt. The main teacher would do English, history, geography, social sciences/health.

I remember my "health" book was from the 1920's and it talked about getting bobs and pin curls for girls. :bugeye: It was 40 years old.

Last edited:
Evo said:
That's how it was when I was in elementary school too. But even back when the Evo Child was in elemntary school, I think she had 5 teachers, they changed classes, I was shocked. Supposedly they think it's better to have different teachers for different subjects.

Which level of elementary school? I know for k-5 we start out with one teacher and then in grade 1 we get a gym teacher and grade 4 you have to take french and that's a separate teacher.

Grade 6-8 is also elementary school around here though (like junior high I suppose I'm not sure how it works in America) and at these grade levels you normally have a homeroom teacher that teaches sex-ed(when it came time to)/math/science a social sciences teacher for georgaphy/history/english a gym teacher and a french teacher.
So I suppose we had a maximum of 4 different teachers in elementary school.

Then high-school you had a differen teacher for mostly every course (unless they taught two courses).

Sorry! said:
Which level of elementary school? I know for k-5 we start out with one teacher and then in grade 1 we get a gym teacher and grade 4 you have to take french and that's a separate teacher.

Grade 6-8 is also elementary school around here though (like junior high I suppose I'm not sure how it works in America) and at these grade levels you normally have a homeroom teacher that teaches sex-ed(when it came time to)/math/science a social sciences teacher for georgaphy/history/english a gym teacher and a french teacher.
So I suppose we had a maximum of 4 different teachers in elementary school.

Then high-school you had a differen teacher for mostly every course (unless they taught two courses).
Elementary school here, they had a homeroom teacher, then they changed classes. I personally think they were too young for that, but that's what the local school district decided. Parent/teacher conferences in grade school meant meeting with several teachers. But I guess it was only odd from my perspective, not having gone through that. My daughters knew no different and they were fine.

I wish someone would have explained to me when I was a kid that school wasn't about learning but instead about getting a paper that says I am smart so I can impress other people with papers that say they are smart. If I had understood that understanding the material isn't as important as getting credit for understanding it I might have tryed harder in school.

magpies said:
I wish someone would have explained to me when I was a kid that school wasn't about learning but instead about getting a paper that says I am smart so I can impress other people with papers that say they are smart. If I had understood that understanding the material isn't as important as getting credit for understanding it I might have tryed harder in school.

I think you also need someone to tell you that having a degree doesn't mean you're smart.

You made progress though. Just hope that person comes around.

JasonRox said:

REad the end of that sentence you quoted.

"...through the end of elementary school." That's 6th grade.

High School is a different matter. We currently are on the "Block Schedule," where students will have 3 "core classes" a day. Some have four, but usually not all four will have too much homework.

Most other classes have very little homework actually. Those are the joke classes that people are laughing at, constantly.

And the students are not DOOMED. In fact, my good students to very well, and repeatedly call back to thank me for preparing them well for college.

Those who choose not to expend the effort required are able to take the less demanding physics class.

Last edited:
ibnsos said:
I think that may be part of the problem. You give 1 hour, their math teacher gives 1 hour, their english teacher gives 1 hour, etc. If everyones giving an hour of homework per class wheres the time for sports, clubs, work and fun coming from? Only a very small portion of students are going to thrive in such an environment, most will be completely turned off to school and stop carring. I understand your class is honors, but each teacher feels their material is just as important, if not more so, than the next and forget this isn't college and most of their students won't be going into that specific field after school anyway.

I rarely had more than a half hour of homework, I did it all during lunch and breaks during class time. I didn't have a choice in HS since after school I had 3-4 hours of practice or a competition and then work.
Sorry to hear that. Why do you feel that it was necessary to spend 3-4 hours of practice at a sport, but 1 hour of practice at physics is not worth the while?

Anyway, if Trent Cleverpants find that homework is not necessary and chooses to not practice problem solving, or if Sally Highmind feels that reading through a chapter on circular motion is beneath her dignity, they may choose to not do it. If they can still find the ability to write decent answers to conceptual questions and solve a challenging problem, then fine. I don't grade the Homework that heavily. If on lab reports and on tests, they can show they understand concepts, analyze data, and solve problems, then they get good grades.

Those that choose to regularly not do homework generally do not do well on any form of assessment.

Last edited:
ibnsos said:

Whatever prevents the idiots/unmotivated people from going into the work ...

We had an awesome math professor in our first year who would give us really hard quizzes every week. He finished the material before any other class. All engineering classes had that course with different professor. Most students did not like him and tried to stop the quizzes many times and kept on whining to the department etc... But in the end, our class average was way better than any other class. And lots of people from our class aced the final exam.