Why 2nd order differential equation has two solutions

In summary, a second order linear differential equation with continuous coefficients has two independent solutions on an interval if the coefficients are continuous on that interval. This can be extended to higher dimensions. Non-linear equations may have more than two solutions, but the statement still holds for linear equations. This is because the set of all solutions to a linear homogenous equation is a vector space of dimension n.
goodphy
Hello.

I forgot the reason why 2nd order differential equation has two independent solutions. (Here, source term is zero) Why 3 or 4 independent solutions are not possible?

Please give me clear answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
goodphy said:
I forgot the reason why 2nd order differential equation has two independent solutions. (Here, source term is zero) Why 3 or 4 independent solutions are not possible?
How many independent boundary conditions can there be a 2nd order differential equation? If someone specifies x(0) and x'(0), is x''(0) independent from those?

goodphy said:
Hello.

Please give me clear answer.

You need to be a little careful. The statement as you've stated it is not correct. (This is a common error).

Consider the equation [itex] \left(y''+y\right) \left(y''-y \right)=0 [/itex]

You can check that this equation is 2nd order by expanding the left side:
[itex] \left(y''\right)^2-y^2=0 [/itex]

The highest derivative of y is 2nd order. However this equation has 4 independent solutions:
[itex] y = c_1 e^x + c_2 e^{-x} + c_3 cos x + c_4 sin x [/itex]

You should note that this equation is also nonlinear.

A correct statement is that a second order linear differential equation of the form [itex] y'' + f(x)y' + g(x) y =0[/itex] has two independent solutions on an interval I if f and g are both continuous on the interval I.

This theorem can be generalized to higher dimensions.

A proof of the above statement is given in Tenenbaum and Pollard Lesson 65. In my opinion this is a great reference for differential equations.

You can probably also find the proof online using some google-fu if you search for general solution of 2nd order (or n-th order) differential equations.

Likes goodphy
jbriggs444 said:
How many independent boundary conditions can there be a 2nd order differential equation? If someone specifies x(0) and x'(0), is x''(0) independent from those?

I see.

2nd order linear differential equation without source (homogeneous linear differential equation) can be always written as y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0 where ' means differentiation. Full solution is obtained by solving this equation with initial conditions (equation describes evolution of the system from initial conditions). If we know, y(0) and y'(0) then the equation tells y''(0). These initial conditions gives next time values y(t1), y'(t1) and substituting these into the equation tells y''(t1). Next time values are obtained in similar process so full solution is obtained.

As coefficients of independent solutions are rooms for initial conditions and we need only two conditions to fully describe system evolution thus 2nd order homogeneous differential equation only requires two independent solutions as constituents of general solutions.

Thanks to remind me of this!

Likes jbriggs444
Every linear homogeneous second order differential equation has two independent solution because the set of all solutions to an nth order linear homogenous equation is a vector space of dimension n. If you want to include non-linear equations, you will have to specify what you mean by "independent".

1. Why do second order differential equations have two solutions?

Second order differential equations have two solutions because they contain two arbitrary constants. These constants arise from the two initial conditions that are needed to fully determine the solution of the differential equation. Without these constants, the solution would not be complete.

2. Can a second order differential equation have more than two solutions?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have more than two solutions. This can occur when there are multiple initial conditions given or when the equation has a repeated root. In these cases, the solution will contain more than two arbitrary constants.

3. How does the degree of a second order differential equation affect the number of solutions?

The degree of a second order differential equation does not affect the number of solutions. The degree only refers to the highest derivative present in the equation. The number of solutions is determined by the number of initial conditions and the nature of the equation itself.

4. Why are two solutions needed to solve a second order differential equation?

Two solutions are needed to solve a second order differential equation because it is a second order equation, meaning it contains two derivatives. Each derivative requires one arbitrary constant, so two solutions are needed to fully determine the solution of the equation.

5. Can a second order differential equation have complex solutions?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have complex solutions. This can occur when the equation has complex coefficients or when the initial conditions lead to complex solutions. In these cases, the solution will involve complex numbers and can be expressed in terms of trigonometric or hyperbolic functions.