Why a spring-mass assembly is a SHM?

In summary: F = mgy, which is proportional to displacement. Therefore, for small angles, the restoring force of a pendulum is proportional to displacement, making it a SHM. However, for larger angles, the relationship between the restoring force and displacement is no longer linear, so the pendulum is no longer a SHM.
jaumzaum
I was trying to understand why a spring -mass assembly and a simple pendulum is a simple harmonic movement.

I've done like this:

In a SHM that starts in -A, we have x = -A.cos(wt)

In a spring-mass we have that the maximum velocity is [itex] \frac{mv²} {2} = \frac{kA²}{2} -> v = A\sqrt{\frac{k}{ m}} [/itex]

[itex] w = v/A = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/itex]

[itex] v = \int a.dt = \int \frac{-k.x}{m} dt [/itex]

But in a SHM, [itex] v = -w .x.tan(wt) -> -w .x.tan(wt) = \int \frac{-k.x}{m} dt [/itex]

If we substitute x = -A.cos(wt), we see that the expression is true, so spring-maass is a SHM.

But I don't know how to demonstrate why pendulum is a SHM?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well at an angle θ, what the torque about the center of rotation equal to? (use m,g, and L for parameters)

This torque is also equal to I(d2θ/dt2). 'I' in this case just the inertia of the mass.

jaumzaum said:
I was trying to understand why a spring -mass assembly and a simple pendulum is a simple harmonic movement.

I've done like this:

In a SHM that starts in -A, we have x = -A.cos(wt)

In a spring-mass we have that the maximum velocity is [itex] \frac{mv²} {2} = \frac{kA²}{2} -> v = A\sqrt{\frac{k}{ m}} [/itex]

[itex] w = v/A = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/itex]

[itex] v = \int a.dt = \int \frac{-k.x}{m} dt [/itex]

But in a SHM, [itex] v = -w .x.tan(wt) -> -w .x.tan(wt) = \int \frac{-k.x}{m} dt [/itex]

If we substitute x = -A.cos(wt), we see that the expression is true, so spring-maass is a SHM.

But I don't know how to demonstrate why pendulum is a SHM?

The condition for SHM is that the restoring force is proportional to displacement.
That is pretty easy to do with a spring/mass set-up.

For a pendulum, when the bob is off to one side, the component of the mass, in the direction of travel, is the restoring force. This involves a trig function, but we can show that for small deflections, the restoring force is pretty much proportional to displacement.

Thanks,

If we calculte we get F = mg sin(y)cos(y)

where sin(y) = x/L if cos(y) ~ 1, we get a SHM

So in big angles, pendulum is not a SHM?

jaumzaum said:
Thanks,

If we calculte we get F = mg sin(y)cos(y)

where sin(y) = x/L if cos(y) ~ 1, we get a SHM

So in big angles, pendulum is not a SHM?

Not sure where that cos function came from?? but yes for small angles

Tan(x) = x = sin(x) [x in radians of course]

So this is SHM for "small" angles. The conjecture then becomes "what is small?" And that can make the subject of a great little practical exercise.

mg sin(y) would be the force tangent to the movement, so the force in the horizontal (x) axes is mgsin(y)cos( y)

1. Why is a spring-mass assembly considered a simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

A spring-mass assembly is considered a SHM because it follows the basic principles of SHM, which include a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position and a constant period of oscillation.

2. How does the mass affect the SHM of a spring-mass assembly?

The mass affects the SHM of a spring-mass assembly by changing the period of oscillation. A larger mass will result in a longer period, while a smaller mass will result in a shorter period. However, the amplitude of the oscillation will remain the same regardless of the mass.

3. What is the role of the spring in a spring-mass assembly SHM?

The spring in a spring-mass assembly acts as the restoring force, which brings the mass back to its equilibrium position when it is displaced. The stiffness of the spring also affects the period of oscillation, with a stiffer spring resulting in a shorter period.

4. Can a spring-mass assembly exhibit non-SHM behavior?

Yes, a spring-mass assembly can exhibit non-SHM behavior if the restoring force is not proportional to the displacement or if there is external damping present. In such cases, the motion of the mass will not follow a sinusoidal pattern and the period of oscillation may vary.

5. How is the frequency of a spring-mass assembly SHM related to the spring constant and mass?

The frequency of a spring-mass assembly SHM is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant and inversely proportional to the square root of the mass. In other words, a higher spring constant or a lower mass will result in a higher frequency of oscillation.