1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why a spring-mass assembly is a SHM?

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    I was trying to understand why a spring -mass assembly and a simple pendulum is a simple harmonic movement.

I've done like this:

In a SHM that starts in -A, we have x = -A.cos(wt)

In a spring-mass we have that the maximum velocity is [itex] \frac{mv²} {2} = \frac{kA²}{2} -> v = A\sqrt{\frac{k}{ m}} [/itex]

[itex] w = v/A = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/itex]

[itex] v = \int a.dt = \int \frac{-k.x}{m} dt [/itex]

But in a SHM, [itex] v = -w .x.tan(wt) -> -w .x.tan(wt) = \int \frac{-k.x}{m} dt [/itex]

If we substitute x = -A.cos(wt), we see that the expression is true, so spring-maass is a SHM.

But I don't know how to demonstrate why pendulum is a SHM?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well at an angle θ, what the torque about the center of rotation equal to? (use m,g, and L for parameters)

This torque is also equal to I(d2θ/dt2). 'I' in this case just the inertia of the mass.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

The condition for SHM is that the restoring force is proportional to displacement.
    That is pretty easy to do with a spring/mass set-up.

For a pendulum, when the bob is off to one side, the component of the mass, in the direction of travel, is the restoring force. This involves a trig function, but we can show that for small deflections, the restoring force is pretty much proportional to displacement.

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4
    Thanks,

If we calculte we get F = mg sin(y)cos(y)

where sin(y) = x/L if cos(y) ~ 1, we get a SHM

So in big angles, pendulum is not a SHM?

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

Not sure where that cos function came from?? but yes for small angles

Tan(x) = x = sin(x) [x in radians of course]

So this is SHM for "small" angles. The conjecture then becomes "what is small?" And that can make the subject of a great little practical exercise.

7. Sep 4, 2011 #6
    mg sin(y) would be the force tangent to the movement, so the force in the horizontal (x) axes is mgsin(y)cos( y)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook