Why am i a mathematician? [quick story]

In summary, the conversation revolves around a professor's unique and fun handwriting in his lecture notes, particularly in his use of side notes and drawings. Some people prefer typed notes, but the handwriting stands out and makes the material more memorable. The conversation also touches on the professor's presence on the internet.
n!kofeyn
"why am i a mathematician?" [quick story]

http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~ghrist/whyami.html" are very fun to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Wow I love his handwriting, wish I had a professor like that!

Jame said:
Wow I love his handwriting, wish I had a professor like that!

Yea, I know! I also wish I had the equipment to handwrite my notes electronically. I've seen people comment on how it was too much like handwriting and hard to read, and that they preferred typed notes. I myself don't like sloppy handwriting, but his isn't sloppy and is very fun and colorful to read, while being readable. It sticks in my mind because of the unique presentation style and little side notes and drawings. I've heard multiple professors use this story in his notes on page 4 http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~ghrist/notes/calculus2/lecture12.pdf" , but I just like the ticket reading "Mean Value Theorem, son". Haha.

Holy crap. Lecture notes #8, at the bottom of page 1.

(Picture of a cat) "I can has holes?"

Tac-Tics said:
Holy crap. Lecture notes #8, at the bottom of page 1.

(Picture of a cat) "I can has holes?"

It's always great to see a professor, especially a math professor, who roams the internets. Just so people know, you meant http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~ghrist/notes/appltop/lecture8.pdf" in the applied topology section.

Off topic posts have been deleted. Remember that this thread is in the Academic Guidance forum, not general discussion.

1. Why did you choose to become a mathematician?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by numbers and patterns. Mathematics is the language of the universe, and I wanted to be able to understand and uncover its secrets. Plus, solving complex problems and coming up with new theories is incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.

2. What skills are required to become a mathematician?

To become a mathematician, one needs to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. Additionally, being able to think abstractly and creatively is essential in the field of mathematics.

3. What are some common misconceptions about mathematicians?

One common misconception about mathematicians is that they are all geniuses with exceptional mathematical abilities. While some may possess these qualities, many mathematicians are just ordinary people with a passion for numbers and a strong work ethic. Another misconception is that mathematics is a boring and dull subject, when in fact it is a dynamic and exciting field with many real-world applications.

4. What challenges do mathematicians face in their work?

One of the main challenges that mathematicians face is the difficulty of their research. Mathematics can be a complex and abstract subject, and coming up with new theorems and proofs can be a daunting task. Additionally, peer review and competition within the field can also be challenging, as mathematicians strive to be the first to discover and publish new findings.

5. How does being a mathematician impact your daily life?

Being a mathematician has taught me to think critically and logically, which has translated into my everyday life. I am able to approach problems from different angles and come up with efficient solutions. Additionally, my work as a mathematician has opened up opportunities to collaborate with other scientists and researchers from various fields, making my daily life more diverse and fulfilling.