LinuxMicrosoftMCSA said:
Hi,
I'm currently having trouble getting past Algebra 2 at my college. I got local credit in Algebra 2 in high school. My current college major is Chemistry with an emphasis on materials science/engineering. I obviously need Calculus 3 and differential equations and my ultimate roadblock is Algebra 2. I just printed a formula sheet for Algebra 2 that I found online. I'm not sure if it's the tutors or the professor just grades harshly or whatever, but I'm having trouble getting past Algebra 2. Does anyone know any good study methods for math?
Thank you.
What kind of evaluation of local credit? You learned? You tried very hard? Grade of C or better, or not?
You, the student, know what you need or needed after going through the course. Your teacher may evaluate your work as best he can but only the student yourself can best understand what you learned well , what you did not learn well, and have a strong hint as to why. Understand, the material is new to you after having previously gone through only Algebra 1 in high school . When you have the course a second time, you WILL learn better, unless you are just not giving the effort. Algebra 2 is not at all your roadblock. You already learned it. Now is the time to learn it better.
Best material for your own reenforcement and review is find whatever book (one or two of them) that you believe is most thorough, or has all the topics that YOU need for YOUR course. Your own book as assigned might be fine or better than fine. A suggestion of authors of possibly older, but still excellent Algebra2 books may be Wright & New; Larson & Edwards; Gilbert & Perez; Aufman, Barker & Nation; and other members may have other suggestions.
osilmag said:
Initially review the topic you are having trouble with, and then practice, practice, and some more practice until you have it memorized.
That is good advice, but is understood as already taken care of, since you already studied the course in high school. You are now in it for the second time; remember?Just what kind of trouble are you having? Can you determine if your college's course called Algebra 2 is equivalent to the one you had in high school? Are you now being assigned much more theoretical exercises than you were in high school Algebra 2? are you now being assigned much more applications exercises than you were in the high school Algebra 2? Is you teacher allowing much for partial credit, or is this kind of evaluating being highly restricted?