Why are all my rar downloads corrupt?

• Thread starter gary123
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with corrupt RAR files when downloading, even with small files. They have tried using a more recent version of winrar but it did not help. They suggest it could be due to zipping on Unix and unzipping on Windows. They also mention that a possible cause could be a server side issue, firewall settings, or cluttered temp files. They recommend trying a mirror site, adjusting firewall settings, and cleaning up temp files to fix the issue.
gary123
I used to have no problems downloading. Now almost every RAR file I download is corrupt. Even small rars. Some of them are fixed by RAR repair, a lot aren't.

I downloaded a more recent version of winrar, it didn't help.

What do you think is causing this? How can I fix this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
gary123 said:
I used to have no problems downloading. Now almost every RAR file I download is corrupt. Even small rars. Some of them are fixed by RAR repair, a lot aren't.

I downloaded a more recent version of winrar, it didn't help.

What do you think is causing this? How can I fix this?

I sometimes have problems with files that have been zipped on Unix and unzipped on Windows. Could it be due to that?

And to add to this...

If your internet connectivity is fine(that's another issue) there are several situations that can cause this.
-It could be a server side issue. Try using a mirror site.
-Check your firewall settings
-Clean up your temp files and defrag while your at it(always run chkdsk before defrag)

1. Why are my rar downloads always corrupt?

Corrupted rar downloads can be caused by a variety of factors, including incomplete or interrupted downloads, errors during the compression process, and issues with the downloaded file itself. It is important to ensure that your internet connection is stable and that you are downloading from a reliable source to reduce the chances of corruption.

2. How can I prevent my rar downloads from becoming corrupted?

To prevent corruption of rar downloads, make sure to use a stable internet connection and download from trusted sources. Additionally, regularly updating your file compression software and performing regular maintenance on your computer can also help prevent corruption.

3. Are there any specific file types that are more prone to corruption during download?

There is no specific file type that is more prone to corruption during download. However, files that are larger in size or contain a lot of data may be at a slightly higher risk of becoming corrupted during the download process.

4. Can a virus or malware cause my rar downloads to become corrupt?

Yes, a virus or malware can potentially cause your rar downloads to become corrupt. It is important to have reliable antivirus software installed and regularly scan your computer for any threats. If you suspect that a virus or malware may be causing the corruption, it is best to run a full scan and remove any threats before attempting to download the file again.

5. What should I do if my rar downloads are consistently corrupt?

If you are experiencing consistent corruption with your rar downloads, it may be worth trying to download the file from a different source. If the issue persists, it could be an indication of a larger problem with your computer or internet connection. In this case, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a technical professional to diagnose and resolve the issue.