Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archives/Extracted Files Question

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    So my hard drive is filling up and I need to make room, and the first thing that came to mind was to delete the old archives (.rar files) from my "downloads" folder. I've already extracted everything I need from them and saved it in a different place. My question is will deleting the original archives affect the files I extracted from them at all?

I don't see why it would be a problem, since if the programs needed both an archive and an extracted folder then the compression process would be kind of useless, but I wanted to make sure. Hopefully someone can help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2010 #2
    You can delete the .rar files once you extracted all the files successfully from them. I used to delete the .rar file immediately after extraction. I always check if the extraction is successful or not by opening the files before deleting .rar. It wont cause any harm to extracted file.
    You can happily delete the .rar files.

4. Jul 8, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook