Why are all those threads locked

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of locked threads on a forum, specifically mentioning that the moderator had locked some threads despite not seeing any insults or dangerous content in them. The reason for locking threads is mentioned to be due to not adhering to forum guidelines. The conversation also mentions that older threads are systematically locked and provides a link for further discussion on the topic. The conversation ends with a discussion about the heavily moderated nature of the forum and appreciation for the moderators' efforts.
Sophia
If like to ask about the locked threads. I see no insults or dangerous politics or religious issues in them. I was not able to understand why the moderator had locked them. Any ideas? Never seen
so many locked conversions on other forums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophia said:
If like to ask about the locked threads.

Which ones? We lock threads for a variety of reasons. DrClaude mentioned one of them. If you're referring to fairly recent threads, e.g. within the last year or two, then give us a few examples, and we might be able to comment on them.

Last edited:
These are on the first page of general discussion.

Brain fogginess in the morning
Preserving information...
How did Einstein earn his PhD
Michio Kaku
Women in Physics
How near are we...
Knitting metaphor
Is the fututre...

If you read those threads, keeping in mind the PF guidelines, it's not very hard to see why they would be locked. Further, the final post on a locked thread is often from a Mentor explaining why they are locking the thread (e.g. Michio Kaku was locked for being a necropost).

PF is somewhat more heavily moderated than other discussion forums on the internet. I appreciate all the work the Mentors do to keep PF to standards of excellence.

Likes gracy, davenn, Evo and 2 others

1. Why are all those threads locked?

Threads may be locked for various reasons, such as violating the community guidelines, becoming outdated, or being resolved. Locking a thread helps to maintain a healthy and organized discussion within the community.

2. Can I still read a locked thread?

Yes, you can still read a locked thread. However, you will not be able to post any new comments or replies on that thread.

3. How can I unlock a locked thread?

Only moderators or administrators have the ability to unlock a thread. If you believe a thread has been locked in error, you can reach out to the moderators for further assistance.

4. Will a locked thread ever be unlocked?

In some cases, a locked thread may be unlocked if it is deemed necessary by the moderators or if new information has come to light. However, not all locked threads will be unlocked.

5. Can I request for a thread to be unlocked?

You can reach out to the moderators and request for a thread to be unlocked, but the decision ultimately lies with them. They will consider the reason for locking the thread and make a decision based on the community guidelines.