1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are modern prints of math books not printed in LaTeX?

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Title says it all. I was reading my textbook today and it dawned on me that not a single textbook on mathematics that I've read has been printed in LaTeX. Instead, I believe it's printed in Times New Roman. At any rate, I think the font style looks much worse than the standard LaTeX font. Does anyone know why this is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You mean copies of old books? I would guess because no ones really complaining about how it's typed in the old books, they look fine as they are, and converting hundreds of pages for each book into LaTeX code would be an extreme bother.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are you saying "LaTex" is a font style?

5. Jun 30, 2011 #4
    No, when I say font style of LaTeX, I mean the the default font that is used when a document is created in LaTeX. e.g. [itex]x, y, z [/itex] etc... What would you call it?

6. Jun 30, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Times Roman italic, isn't that the default for LaTeX math symbols?

7. Jun 30, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Jun 30, 2011 #7
    I never said it was!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook