Why are people cruel when someone posts a photo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
149 replies · 14K views
By Lisa,
Have you ever had a dream which you've wished it lasted forever?

Yes i have, i dream of living in a country cottage set in beautiful countryside
with a few good freinds, i think about it all the time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
Have you ever tried to make it real?

I think i would have to travel backwards in time, or have mega bucks, and
there is little chance of that.
 
Has every one stopped being nice ? well i suppose you all did your best :approve:
 
wolram said:
Has every one stopped being nice ? well i suppose you all did your best :approve:
I'm still nice.
 
arildno said:
I'm still nice.

Arildno, do you know any thing about this ? http://www.kaupang.uio.no/eng/index.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
Arildno, do you know any thing about this ? http://www.kaupang.uio.no/eng/index.html
Well, I was unaware that there was major researches going on in the Kaupang district now, but I certainly knew that the region was the major trading centre in Southern Norway in Viking times.

I'll check out what has been written about it in Norwegian sources.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:
I wonder if vikings had curtians?

I will not bet my head on it, but I think they only had curtains, no windows. (Alternatively, you could say their windows where made of lether, but... whatever).
 
They must have been a hardy people, but not as brusque as depicted in books,
some must have been fine crafts men.
 
wolram said:
They must have been a hardy people, but not as brusque as depicted in books,
some must have been fine crafts men.
Indeed.
Some actually had to build the Viking ships, for example..
 
wolram said:
They must have been a hardy people, but not as brusque as depicted in books,
some must have been fine crafts men.

Oh, yes. They traded a lot and managed to sail up shallow rivers with their flat hulled boats; all the way from russia, to north america and to the Mediterranean sea. On second thought, concidering the amount of contact they had with other culutures, they must have had glass. Glass was common during the roman times and again in the middle ages, only during the time in between I think there have been less of it, if IRCC from a glass exhibition in Florence.
 
Last edited:
Joel said:
Oh, yes. They traded a lot and managed to sail up shallow rivers with their flat hulled boats; all the way from russia, to north america and to the Mediterranean sea. On second thought, concidering the amount of contact they had with other culutures, they must have had glass. Glass was common during the roman times and again in the middle ages, only during the time in between I think may have been less of it, if IRCC from a glass exhibition in Florence.

I was looking at some viking beads to day, a tv show called time team attempted to reproduce one, it was more difficult than they thought.

http://www.regia.org/glass.htm
 
wolram said:
I was looking at some viking beads to day, a tv show called time team attempted to reproduce one, it was more difficult than they thought.

http://www.regia.org/glass.htm

Fascinating! They seem to have done a lot in glass, altough they imported some of the more difficult work. Next time I think first.

Regarding glass windows, the only mentioning on the page seems to be this:

In the later Anglo-Saxon period, glass was used modestly for some church windows. To date only blue glass seems to have been found, with the odd pieces displaying some decorative brushwork on them. Clear window glass may have been used in the homes of a few wealthy people although this is not certain.
 
Last edited:
wolram said:
I am unsure of the authentisity of this article, it is some thing to think about
if it is true.
http://www.lochness.co.uk/exhibition/viking.html

I'm sorry, but I can't resist:
Eminent researchers like me are only devoted to the science and research of Loch Ness and would never issue statements unless we thought they were true.

Are you allowed to say eminent researcher and Loch Ness in the same sentence?

With that said, who knows... Maybe. But it didn't become clear what time peried they where talking about in the press release.
 
am i the only one who went offline and missed all these nice talks?
 
If i remember correctly Roman glass was recycled by later peoples, it seems an
art that was lost and found to some degree more than once.
 
excuse me, my i have your attention please,

this thread is hijacked.
i repeat, this thread is hijacked.
just like before
 
wolram said:
If i remember correctly Roman glass was recycled by later peoples, it seems an
art that was lost and found to some degree more than once.

Yes, this is what I remember from the glass exhibition, it was lost after Roman times. What I don't remember is when it was re-invented. But concidering the different techniques presented in your first link, it seems there was some kind of new production after roman times, even if most of the items where made by recycling old glass.
 
Joel said:
I'm sorry, but I can't resist:

Are you allowed to say eminent researcher and Loch Ness in the same sentence?

With that said, who knows... Maybe. But it didn't become clear what time peried they where talking about in the press release.

I could not find a follow up article, on the other hand not all loch ness research
is crackpot.
 
whoa, romans knew about glass?

goes to ripleysbeliveitornot.com
 
gurkhawarhorse said:
excuse me, my i have your attention please,

this thread is hijacked.
i repeat, this thread is hijacked.
just like before

You have our attention horsey, hi jacked you say, nay, just blowing out some
cobwebs,
 
wolram said:
I could not find a follow up article, on the other hand not all loch ness research
is crackpot.

I don't know, but I don't doubt it. I do know there is plenty of real research about many myths, Atlantis, as another example.
 
gurkhawarhorse said:
whoa, romans knew about glass?

goes to ripleysbeliveitornot.com

Egyptians also knew about glass. :smile:

http://www.glassonline.com/infoserv/history.html
 
guess the old gorkhalis were too dumb to even know what sand is :cry:
 
Yeah, well... The europeans where too dumb to know about gunpoweder before the 13th century. Nobody gets 'em all. :smile:
 
ah... we borrowed gun powder from chinese, and looted guns from british.
well in all the wars nepal has ever fought, it has never used any thing called gun.
well, lost none.