Why are people cruel when someone posts a photo?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Thread
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
149 replies · 14K views
Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
http://www.geocities.com/ladysveva/BeadHistory.html

This is a good history of glass bead manufacture, it seems the vikings made
and imported/traded beads.

Interesting, indeed. But did they use it for windows, the ultimate question remains? :smile:

I found http://www.stainedglass.org/main_pages/sgaa/historySG.html history about glass windows, sadly without a mentioning of vikings.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joel said:
Interesting, indeed. But did they use it for windows, the ultimate question remains? :smile:

I found http://www.stainedglass.org/main_pages/sgaa/historySG.html history about glass windows, sadly without a mentioning of vikings.

I think the answer must be that it was far to valuable to use for windows,
the roman method of, "blowing", glass into tubes and then cutting and forming
it into flat sheet, seems to have been lost for some time, any other method ie
casting would be slow and expensive, but that is only my take on the matter.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who's posted in this thread except me (and pengwuino if he has) is a dumbass.
 
I cannot take this anymore
I'm saying everything I've said before
All these words they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Less I hear the less you'll say
But you'll find that out anyway
 
Smurf said:
Everyone who's posted in this thread except me (and pengwuino if he has) is a dumbass.
I find the answers aren't so clear
Wish I could find a way to disappear
All these thoughts they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Nothing seems to go away
Over and over again

Chorus

Shut up when I'm talking to you
Shut up, shut up, shut up (2x)

I’m about to break!

Chorus
 
How the hell did this thread go from discussing being nice to glass beads?
 
klusener said:
How the hell did this thread go from discussing being nice to glass beads?

hijacked by the starter of the thread himself :smile:
 
klusener said:
How the hell did this thread go from discussing being nice to glass beads?
well you pheasant pluckers wouldn't have a clue, so go dip your wicks in candle
fat, and have a ball.
:smile:
 
wolram said:
I rarely visit towns or cities, to me the picture post card serenity has gone, it
may return with pedestrianisation of city and town centers, but that may be
years away if ever.
England and Scotland have some wonderful small and midsize towns to visit.

And in Germany - see Rothenburg ob der Tauber - walled city overlooking Tauber Valley.

In Spain - Salamanca (find Cervantes) and Toledo are so cool! You have to see them in person - it's better than post cards.
 
Astronuc said:
England and Scotland have some wonderful small and midsize towns to visit.
Yes, so does Afghanistan, and Borneo.
 
Mk said:
Yes, so does Afghanistan, and Borneo.
I very much want to go to Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Pakistan - all have very interesting histories, and I very much wish to experience the Karakoram and Pamirs. Hopefully that won't be too far in the future.
 
Astronuc said:
England and Scotland have some wonderful small and midsize towns to visit.

They do! Do you have any favorites?
 
9 pages in 13 hrs (up until my post here)...that's pretty impressive. Check out the first page, there are posts minutes apart frequently.
 
Every country has nice towns, particularly all the home towns of PF'ers! :smile:
 
wolram said:
I think the answer must be that it was far to valuable to use for windows,
the roman method of, "blowing", glass into tubes and then cutting and forming
it into flat sheet, seems to have been lost for some time, any other method ie
casting would be slow and expensive, but that is only my take on the matter.

That would be my take too. In addition, contrary to southern countries, glass windows in the north would have had to isolate cold, which probably was better done with lether.
 
Joel said:
That would be my take too. In addition, contrary to southern countries, glass windows in the north would have had to isolate cold, which probably was better done with lether.

Joel, i could on another occasion, talk about this in depth, excuse me please,
i am some what distracted.
 
Astronuc said:
I very much want to go to Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Pakistan - all have very interesting histories, and I very much wish to experience the Karakoram and Pamirs. Hopefully that won't be too far in the future.
I hope you don't get shot! :cry: Are you white? I would never think about visiting no matter what the history. That would be a debt to society!
 
wolram said:
I think the answer must be that it was far to valuable to use for windows,
the roman method of, "blowing", glass into tubes and then cutting and forming
it into flat sheet, seems to have been lost for some time, any other method ie
casting would be slow and expensive, but that is only my take on the matter.
So does arnildo blow well?
 
Mk said:
So does arnildo blow well?

I would not know, i have all ways wanted to try glass blowing though.
 
Mk said:
So does arnildo blow well?
This being the be nice to everyone thread, I would have to say that although I have not witnessed arnildo blowing, I am sure that he can blow with the best of men and that his blowing in no way sucks. :biggrin:
 
wolram said:
Joel, i could on another occasion, talk about this in depth, excuse me please,
i am some what distracted.

While interested, I suspect my knowledge would come short quite shortly, but I'll gladly continue this (or any other) discussion with you later, Wolram. I hope your distraction is pleasant or short. :smile:

Btw, In last night's party I got a high heel on my toe and a lecture in how to make a glass that indicates how much liqoir you have left, by changing the colour of a small lamp in its foot. Later someone lured me to dance ripaska in the middle of the dance floor. :shy:

Also, somewhere around midnight we got some unexpected guests, when our Rector marched in, apparently after having been to a doctor promotation earlier. (The inscription was earlier in the day...) He shaked very well to The Summer of 69! :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
by Joel,
While interested, I suspect my knowledge would come short quite shortly, but I'll gladly continue this (or any other) discussion with you later, Wolram. I hope your distraction is pleasant or short.

I am sorry joel, i had a raging tooth ache, Awww, your poor foot those heels
really hurt.
I must admit it is years since i read up on the history of glass, and forgot how
interesting the subject is, i will have to find an up to date book.
 
As far as i can find, the eariest engish glass window dates to 1180, and
the germans were makeing glass by the blowing method in the 11th century.

Furnaces for glass manufacture have been found in Glastonbury, York, Kent
and Lincoln dating to the 7th century

Glass imported to 5th century Ireland from the mediterranean has been found.

So there is a huge span of dates, and i dare say that the first glass window
pre dates 1180
 
Artman said:
This being the be nice to everyone thread, I would have to say that although I have not witnessed arnildo blowing, I am sure that he can blow with the best of men and that his blowing in no way sucks. :biggrin:
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
 
Artman said:
although I have not witnessed arnildo blowing, I am sure that he can blow with the best of men and that his blowing in no way sucks. :biggrin:
Well put. .
 
Mk said:
I hope you don't get shot! :cry: Are you white? I would never think about visiting no matter what the history. That would be a debt to society!
I have been mistaken for Arab and Jew, Italian, Spanish, Greek, and other Mediterranean and Middle Eastern nationalities. During the summer, my skin gets rather dark.

Anyway, I do plan to go to Afghanistan and Pakistan - they have some great mountains. :biggrin:
 
i'm bored

éáíóúýàèìòù
çãõñ

äëïöüÿ
 
wolram said:
I would not know, i have all ways wanted to try glass blowing though.

I'll let Mr. glass know how you feel...