Why are prescription drugs mostly white in colour?

In summary, it is common for substances that interact with human biology to be white because their electronic energy levels usually do not preferentially absorb visible light. This is due to the spacing of the energy levels in organic molecules. Medication manufacturers do not artificially whiten them for consumer expectations, but rather use fillers and coatings for practical purposes such as identification and absorption. Some active ingredients are not white, such as dithranol, and there are also colored pills available.
cool_walking_
Am I imagining it?
Is there something in common about the structure of substances that interact with human biology which means they tend to be white?
Do medication manufacturers just somehow artificially whiten them to meet consumer expectations?

Thanks for any input.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that the "filler" they put in pills is where most of the color is coming from and has little to do with the drug's color in most cases.

cool_walking_ said:
Is there something in common about the structure of substances that interact with human biology which means they tend to be white?

There actually are active ingredients which are not white (e.g. dithranol). I don't expect that the percentage of white drug substances significantly differs from the expectancy value for all organic compounds. But I don't have the data to check it.

cool_walking_ said:
Do medication manufacturers just somehow artificially whiten them to meet consumer expectations?

No, they artifically pigment them in order to prevent confusions between different drugs with similar shape. Tablets without colourants have the colour of filler or coating which are usually white (e.g. lactose).

Likes cainorion
DrStupid said:
There actually are active ingredients which are not white (e.g. dithranol).

Or calamine (an inorganic).

I wonder if there is an element of not wanting the pills to look like candy to children?

Some pills are blue.

Usually when an organic compound has a color other than white, it has a long conjugated chain (like in beta-carotene or similar) that makes it absorb visible light at some typical wavelength range.

Likes DrClaude
The fillers and coatings answer is most of it. Vitamins and some other nutrients have color, but they are usually in such small abundance in a pill as to not add much color. (Except the horse pill sized supplements that contain everything remotely like a human micronutrient. ) Many pharmaceuticals are whitish anyway. We are assuming they are powders or crystals - for the example below.

Suppose you take, um, 20mg of spironolactone - a diuretic. It has density approximately equal to table sugar. So, get yourself a magnifying glass and some tweezers (forceps). Count out 10 grains of granulated sugar. Put them in a neat pile. Can you even see it from 2 meters away? If you dropped a pill that small would you ever find it? Try getting just a single one of those "nanopills" out of a bottle.

There are good reasons for fillers - you can see the most obvious ones already. Us. People who take the pills. Coatings and shapes identify pills to consumers of those pills. 'I have to take two pink ones, a blue one, and the white long skiny one'

Fillers and coatings can affect absorption of the drug, timing it to release slowly, or release in the intestine, or withstand stomach acid. Not mention help fumble fingered people with decent sized pills. All this from pills almost completely made of fillers and coatings.

Pills also have small mnemonics in/on the surface so Pharmacists can identify them. The formulaies they have come with nifty pill pictures. To decode the pill. Try that with a nanopill.

I think the OP is asking why the actual active ingredients in medications (like acetylsalicylic acid, bisoprolol, zuclopenthixol, etc...) are usually white solids. The reason is that the electronic energy levels of organic molecules usually have such spacings that they don't preferentially absorb visible light of some particular color.

It can be only for commercial reason. Or because it's a neutral color. Maybe some people would not eat green grugs. ?:)

marjudo said:
It can be only for commercial reason. Or because it's a neutral color. Maybe some people would not eat green grugs. ?:)
Interesting thought, but why would they specifically make them white by that logic?

marjudo said:
It can be only for commercial reason.
Only?

marjudo said:
Maybe some people would not eat green grugs. ?:)
But there are green pills.

How are you going to take the white one, when the choice is between blue and red?

Likes Drakkith
Borek said:
Some pills are blue.
I've never seen such a thing. Do you have a peer-reviewed reference for that? o0)

berkeman said:
I've never seen such a thing. Do you have a peer-reviewed reference for that? o0)
I can show you a few commercials :wink:

Borek said:
How are you going to take the white one, when the choice is between blue and red?
Ah, the dreaded 2-party system has made its way into chemistry :headbang:

Likes Drakkith
Hey everyone. Easily distracted OP here. hilbert2 gets me.

hilbert2 said:
the electronic energy levels of organic molecules usually have such spacings that they don't preferentially absorb visible light of some particular color.
I'm only a layman physicist. How does this work? What spacings, and what is it about these spacings that makes light do it's colourful thing?

cool_walking_ said:
Hey everyone. Easily distracted OP here. hilbert2 gets me.

I'm only a layman physicist. How does this work? What spacings, and what is it about these spacings that makes light do it's colourful thing?

A photon has energy. For example, green light corresponds to each of the photon having energy of 2.3 eV. If an organic compound do not have any excited state energy level of this energy, then the compound will not absorb this light and the light just passes through.

Visible photon is somewhere around 1.8 eV to 3.1 eV.

To add to what HAYAO said: photon can get absorbed when its energy is that required to move an electron from one allowed energy level (orbital) to another (we call the lower energy state a basic one, and the higher energy level state the excited one).

Google for Bohr atom and Rydberg formula - while as of today we have much better ways of describing electrons and atoms/molecules (IOW: an older theory has been superseded by a new theory, nice example of how the science works) they still give a nice and rather easy to follow explanation of how the spectra works. Just remember to treat them more in terms of an analogy than in terms of the real thing.

Borek said:
To add to what HAYAO said: photon can get absorbed when its energy is that required to move an electron from one allowed energy level (orbital) to another (we call the lower energy state a basic one, and the higher energy level state the excited one).
I always call it the "ground state" though. I didn't know you can call it the "base state". But I guess talking about terminology is trivial.

HAYAO said:
I always call it the "ground state" though. I didn't know you can call it the "base state". But I guess talking about terminology is trivial.

Chances you are right and I just incorrectly translated from Polish.

Borek said:
Chances you are right and I just incorrectly translated from Polish.
I see. Now that you've mentioned it, translation from Japanese to English also leads to "basic state". Interesting.

1. Why do pharmaceutical companies make prescription drugs mostly white in colour?

Pharmaceutical companies choose white as the predominant colour for prescription drugs due to its ability to enhance the perception of cleanliness and purity. White is also a neutral colour that does not interfere with the appearance of the active ingredients in the drug.

2. Are there any specific regulations or guidelines that mandate prescription drugs to be white in colour?

There are no specific regulations or guidelines that require prescription drugs to be white in colour. However, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does have guidelines on colour additives used in pharmaceutical products to ensure safety and efficacy.

3. Do white prescription drugs have any advantages over coloured ones?

White prescription drugs have several advantages over coloured ones. They are easier to identify, as white is a neutral colour that does not interfere with the appearance of the drug's active ingredients. White drugs are also less likely to cause staining or discoloration on clothing or other surfaces.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using white prescription drugs?

One potential drawback of using white prescription drugs is that they may be more difficult for individuals with visual impairments to identify. This is why some pharmaceutical companies include a coloured band or stripe on the pill or capsule to aid in identification.

5. Is there any correlation between the colour of a prescription drug and its effectiveness?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that the colour of a prescription drug has any impact on its effectiveness. The efficacy of a drug is determined by its active ingredients and their concentrations, not the colour of the drug. However, the colour of a drug can affect an individual's perception and expectations, which may impact their response to the medication.