Why are quantities called operators

In summary, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the accuracy of measurements of position and momentum cannot both be perfect.
dpa
Is it because measurement of those quantities involves action on the system.
And is the idea that as light is to be used to measure momentum which effects its position fundamental of QM or is it merely like an analog to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dpa! :smile:
dpa said:

the quantity is not called an operator …

its representation in quantum theory (in the equations) is called an operator, because it operates on the wave-function

eg, momentum is represented by a derivative, which is obviousy an operator! :wink:
And is the idea that as light is to be used to measure momentum which effects its position fundamental of QM or is it merely like an analog to understand.

no, the fundamental point is that when we measure both position and speed (in the same direction), there is a limit to the accuracy …

the disturbance caused by light (or anything else) is merely a consequence of that :smile:

tim,
1. What causes the limit to accuracy.
2. How does momentum operate. I mean momentum is an quantity, clasically internal to body and it's motion.

dpa said:
1. What causes the limit to accuracy.

heisenberg's uncertainty principle
2. How does momentum operate. I mean momentum is an quantity, clasically internal to body and it's motion.

momentum is a physical quantity, it doesn't operate

sorry, i realize that I had not got something fundamental.
Again,
1. I meant to say how/why uncertainity principle. I mean, why is there uncertainity.
2. So what's an operater.

dpa said:

An operator is a mathematical object that operates in a given function.

Operators are not quantities, but many quantities [itex]a[/itex] have associated an operator [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] and verify the eigenvalue equation ([itex]\Psi[/itex] is a function)
[tex]\hat{a} \Psi = a \Psi[/tex]
Light is not «used to measure momentum».

dpa said:
1. I meant to say how/why uncertainity principle. I mean, why is there uncertainity.

because that's how the universe is

is that like saying einstein's GR is intuitive/imaginative.

is that like saying einstein's GR is intuitive/imaginative.

And i just read somewhere about this.
What are operators/parameters/ observables.

dpa said:
I mean, why is there uncertainity.
There are a few basic axioms (or principles) in QM, some of them purely mathematical. One of them is that the arena for QM is a Hilbert space of states (with operators acting on these states). Another one is that observables are represented by self-adjoint operators. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is nothing else but a purely geometric theorem that can be derived for any pair of self-adjoint operators. So it follows solely from the mathematical construction.

A physical interpretation for the uncertainty in position x and momentum p can be given as follows: x- and p-representation of wave functions are related via a Fourier transformation; the uncertainty of x (p) is represented by the width of a wave functon in x- (p-) representation; the product of 'width in x times width in p' has a lower bound > 0; a sharper peak in x results in a growing width in p and vice versa.

1. Why are quantities called operators?

Quantities are called operators because they are mathematical symbols that represent an operation to be performed on one or more operands. They can be used to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and other operations on numbers or variables.

2. What is the difference between an operator and a quantity?

An operator is a symbol or function that performs a specific mathematical operation, while a quantity is a numerical value or variable that is being affected by the operation. Operators are used to manipulate quantities and produce a result.

3. How are operators used in scientific research?

In scientific research, operators are used to perform calculations and manipulate data. They are essential in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary for experiments and studies.

4. Can an operator be used on more than two quantities?

Yes, an operator can be used on more than two quantities. This is known as a multi-operand operation, where the operator is applied to multiple quantities to produce a single result. For example, in the equation 4 + 5 + 6, the addition operator is applied to three quantities (4, 5, and 6) to produce the result 15.

5. Are operators only used in mathematics?

No, operators are not only used in mathematics. They can also be used in computer programming, logic, and other fields. In computer programming, operators are used to perform calculations and make decisions based on certain conditions. In logic, operators are used to manipulate propositions and create complex arguments.