Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are so many prison inmates in America gay?

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    I've heard and read several times in my life that approximately 50% of prison inmates in America are gay. However, only 5-10% of Americans are gay. Why are so homosexuals so overrepresented in the prison population in America?

I wonder if stigmatization contributes to this.

What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Humans are adaptive.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    I doubt they would remain gay if they were let out into the public and could interact with women again.

More importantly, they don't go in gay, so they aren't homosexuals by choice.

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4
    Whether one is gay or straight is immutable. It's not a choice. They do go in gay.

6. Aug 18, 2008 #5
    Man, you need to spend your time on more constructive thoughts...:rolleyes:

7. Aug 18, 2008 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd venture that homosexuality despite the availability of members of the opposite sex is a very different behavior than homosexuality without their availability.

- Warren

8. Aug 18, 2008 #7
    Agreed, I read a story about a man's prison life. He said you get so lonely and sex starved that most men that ingage in prison sex aren't "gay" and wouldn't be if they were released. The need for physical contact is so great they are "forced" into it.

9. Aug 18, 2008 #8
    I have never had a girlfriend. I still have never felt attracted to a man. Explain.

10. Aug 18, 2008 #9
    Have you been constrained in small cell for 20 years. It's more about the need for physical contact than gender.

11. Aug 18, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Because an inmate might choose to temporarily have same gender sex does not make them a homosexual. The closest tag would be "bisexual, but it's likely to only be a way to get sexual gratification while locked up. Not their natural way of being.

12. Aug 18, 2008 #11
    Do you have any sources for this?

Based on your previous posts, I'd venture to say you're a pretty weird guy. Maybe you're asexual?

13. Aug 18, 2008 #12
    I think that the stigmatization of homos leads to them being greatly overrepresented in prison. Here's a simplistic example: Few men are willing to knowingly hire a homosexual for a job. Few men want to work with a homosexual man. Therefore, homosexual men have a hard time making money. Therefore, homosexual men might rob someone since it's harder for them to get money from legitimate work.

Yeah, yeah. Some men would knowingly hire a homosexual man for a job. Some men wouldn't mind working with a homosexual. The homosexual could stay in the closet or get hired without the boss knowing. blah blah...My point is that this could happen sometimes. There's a tendency for homosexuals to run into these types of problems more than straight men, IMHO.

14. Aug 18, 2008 #13
    Your conclusion is premature.

I was a virgin until I was 26. I've never kissed a girl. I still have never felt attracted to a man.

15. Aug 18, 2008 #14
    Then why don't they use their hands instead?

To me at least, my stigmatization theory is more compelling.

16. Aug 18, 2008 #15
    Never in my life have I heard any man or woman say that they turned gay because they were involuntarily celibate.

I'm straight.

17. Aug 18, 2008 #16
    She was a butterface, huh?

18. Aug 18, 2008 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Your theory is wrong.

Most criminals are not gay. While there might be some "good ol' boys" out there that would illegally descriminate in hiring, I don't see it in large businesses. At my old company (one of the world's largest), the VP I worked for was gay, all but one of the men I worked with were gay, and these are all people making 6 figure incomes.

19. Aug 18, 2008 #18
    It's a conspiracy!

THEY are the ones injecting rainbows underground, causing them ooze up and show up in our sprinklers!!!

20. Aug 18, 2008 #19
    No; a prostitute.

21. Aug 18, 2008 #20
    While there might be some large companies that would not illegally discriminate in hiring, I don't see it in the majority of businesses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?