American Human Development Index report released

In summary, the American Human Development Report 2008-2009 found that the United States ranks 42nd in global life expectancy and 34th in survival of infants to age. Suicide and murder are among the top 15 causes of death and although the US is home to just 5 per cent of the global population it accounts for 24 per cent of the world's prisoners. The report also found that despite spending nearly $5.2 billion per day on health care, Americans live shorter lives than citizens of every western European and Nordic country, bar Denmark.
Monique said:
I somewhat agree with humanino, the US is often portrayed in the American media as the only country in the world where people live in freedom (as an example). That is just ignorant and it always get me on the edge of my seat.

That's funny. I never see the US portrayed that way. Try taking off your filter.

Which programs? What channels? Any specific examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just finished reading the thread. All i have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Basically, we have a *French* person faulting americans for having a high opinion of themselves. AND interfering in other countries affairs.

Once again, that's a great joke.

seycyrus said:
I just finished reading the thread. All i have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Basically, we have a *French* person faulting americans for having a high opinion of themselves. AND interfering in other countries affairs.

Once again, that's a great joke.

Thats right we only accept reports that tell us exactly what we want to hear.

OAQfirst said:
How am I supposed to agree with you?
Well, really you were not. Because
It's an exaggeration
[...]This is another example of how you generalize so broadly.
is fair : I have been provoking, exaggerating to the point it became a caricature. The reason I was doing that is partly expressed below, and I was also partly willing to display a common place opinion in Europe, which I admit is silly but still should raise some questions.

Thank you for your sensible answer, I appreciate as much as my comments would not have deserved it !

It's a human problem. Can you be so sure that these problems wouldn't exist in another country if it had the same power?
Agreed.
russ_watters said:
I tend to get the impression that foreigners tend to get that impression about the US and I don't get the impression that it actually exists here.
I described also things I live here reading the newspapers, generalized and overstated on purpose as I said. I do love this country really, and want the best for it : those things I described are painful to me and I can't be reasonable about them, they really upset me. This is the rest of my reasons I referred to earlier.
russ_watters said:
You've seriously had people ask you that?
I was asked literally whether running tap water is common in France. The rest was given with a smile by this person, who understood how silly his question was.

Globally I apologize if I offended somebody. I am not surprised to read
seycyrus said:
Pure drivel.
There was still some concerns in the stats shown in post #8

humanino said:
I was also partly willing to display a common place opinion in Europe, which I admit is silly but still should raise some questions.

It does, but probably not the questions you had in mind.

quadraphonics said:
It does, but probably not the questions you had in mind.
I have communication issues (among other things in your opinion I'm sure)

I don't have sound on my computer right now, but you do know that half the people interviewed for that first video were the same stupid kids over and over, right? I thought I already said kids are stupid in that teenage murder thread.

The second one I couldn't hear, but I think I got the jist of it. I'm surprised they didn't have a cop right there take all of their licenses away.