Why are the more distant galaxies/stars moving faster away?

In summary: The expansion of the universe is not a "force" like gravity or electromagnetism. It's more like a fundamental property of space itself - the fabric of space is stretching and carrying everything within it along with it. So the ping pong balls don't really "drift apart," they are just carried along with the stretching of the fabric of space. But again, this is just a rough analogy and not a perfect representation of the actual phenomenon.In summary, the universe is expanding due to a positive second derivative in the Robertson-Walker Scale Factor (a)t. This causes distances to increase at a rate, rather than a speed, resulting in objects further away appearing to move away at a faster rate than those closer to us. This
Kiyal
The universe is expanding: Why is it that the further galaxies and stars are away from us they appear to be moving away at a much faster speed than ones closer to home?

Space news on Phys.org
Because that's precisely how expansion works! If you were to bake delicious raisin bread, as the bread rises the raisins on the outside of the dough would be moving away from the raisins on the opposite side of the dough faster than they are moving away from the raisins near the center. In other words, the closer two raisins are to each other the slower they move apart.

This is because this type of expansion causes distances to increase at a rate, not a speed. This rate can be measured in percentage increase over time. For example, if our raisin bread takes 1 hour to rise fully and increases to twice its original size, then the rate of expansion was 100% per hour, meaning that the distance between each raisin increased by 100% over the course of 1 hour.

Similarly the expansion of the universe causes galaxies further away from each other to increase in distance faster than galaxies closer to each other.

Likes Kiyal
Hubble Law says V=HD V speed of object H Hubble constant D is distance from galaxies so If make D bigger it means V will be bigger.Thats the why further objects seems much faster than the near ones. If you want more info look this video

Just watch first 15 minute

Likes Kiyal and Doug Huffman
wabbit said:
Kiyal, you ought to visit http://www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy/

This helped me a lot, thank you!

So gravity and electromagnetism holds together atoms and solar systems because the slow expansion of space can't overcome the forces of gravity/electromagnetism? So distances among solar systems etc get further apart, though we don't as we're held together by said forces? I think this is making sense, if I'm on the right tracks.

"
Kiyal said:
This helped me a lot, thank you!

So gravity and electromagnetism holds together atoms and solar systems because the slow expansion of space can't overcome the forces of gravity/electromagnetism? So distances among solar systems etc get further apart, though we don't as we're held together by said forces? I think this is making sense, if I'm on the right tracks.

Yes. It is as if you tried stretching a metal coin by attaching a rubber band to each side and pulling on that rubber band - only weaker, empty space is not as strong as rubber:)

It's not really that slow though, its about 7% per billion years for large scale distances - but, if my understanding is correct, about 0% within a galaxy due to the gravitational binding.

Edit: just to be clear, distances "between solar systems" don't increase if they are both part of the same galaxy.

Last edited:
Likes Kiyal
wabbit said:
. It is as if you tried stretching a metal coin by attaching a rubber band to each side and pulling on that rubber band - only weaker, empty space is not as strong as rubber:)

Oh wow, that makes a lot of sense! I like that analogy with the rubber band and the coin!

I like it too, which is why I stole it from phinds :)

Likes phinds and Kiyal
Kiyal said:
So distances among solar systems etc get further apart...
As wabbit already pointed out, solar systems do not get farther apart because they are part of the same galaxy. It goes even farther than that though. "Bound systems" include galactic clusters as well, so galaxies that are all in the same cluster are not affected by the expansion.

Likes Kiyal
phinds said:
"Bound systems" include galactic clusters as well, so galaxies that are all in the same cluster are not affected by the expansion.
Right. To get a quantitative estimate of the relative "strength of expansion" vs "strength of gravitational binding" I was trying, following one of marcus' many enlightening calculations, to compare the corresponding pressures: the negative pressure of expansion turns out to be about 2×10-15 atmospheres IIRC - but I couldn't find an estimate of the average positive pressure of gravity (or equivalently the average energy density including matter and radiation but excluding DE) within a galaxy, a cluster, etc... My guess is that the ratio of such pressures would give a "precise" equivalent of the rubber-strength to metal-strength ratio in the above example.

Last edited:
wabbit said:
Right. To get a quantitative estimate of the relative "strength of expansion" vs "strength of gravitational binding" I was trying, following one of marcus' many enlightening calculations, to compare the corresponding pressures: the negative pressure of expansion turns out to be about 2×10-15 atmospheres IIRC - but I couldn't find an estimate of the average positive pressure of gravity (or equivalently the average energy density including matter) within a galaxy, a cluster, etc... My guess is that the ratio of such pressures would give the "precise" equivalent of the rubber-strength to metal-strength ratio in the above example.
Yeah, I've never gotten into the details at that level. It seems that some galactic clusters, very large ones but with relatively low density, ARE affected at the outer galaxies because their gravitational attraction to the cluster center is not enough to overcome expansion, but I have no idea how one computes that in specific cases.

phinds said:
but I have no idea how one computes that in specific cases.
My guess here is that it just amounts to dividing the mass of the cluster (converted to energy through E=mc2) by its volume, but perhaps that is (far) too simplistic.

If we drop ping pong balls in an ocean, they will drift apart. Wouldn't that be an acceptable analogy?
The ping pong balls being galaxy clusters. The water being "expanding space".
(water molecules may be playing the role of a particle someone else may be able to identify).

Blackberg said:
If we drop ping pong balls in an ocean, they will drift apart. Wouldn't that be an acceptable analogy?
The ping pong balls being galaxy clusters. The water being "expanding space".
(water molecules may be playing the role of a particle someone else may be able to identify).
No, not at all, because the analogy fails completely to show that normal galactic clusters do NOT drift apart and ones where the outer galaxies do drift off don't have the rest of the galaxies drifting apart.

Susskind uses two flowing water metaphors, one of a uniform manifold of pipes supplying water to a shallow pond, the surface of which is everywhere flowing away from itself, and another of a single drain hole to illustrate the effects of the event horizon as a limit.

phinds said:
No, not at all, because the analogy fails completely to show that normal galactic clusters do NOT drift apart and ones where the outer galaxies do drift off don't have the rest of the galaxies drifting apart.

At some sufficiently large radius for a galaxy cluster, I would expect gravity to be sufficiently weak for the outer galaxies to drift away with expanding space. (drifting would break apart a sufficiently large ping pong ball, or maybe an onion rather, which has many layers)

Last edited:
Beggars the meaning of galaxy cluster. Either they are gravitationally bound or not.

wabbit said:
Right. To get a quantitative estimate of the relative "strength of expansion" vs "strength of gravitational binding" I was trying, following one of marcus' many enlightening calculations, to compare the corresponding pressures: the negative pressure of expansion turns out to be about 2×10-15 atmospheres IIRC - but I couldn't find an estimate of the average positive pressure of gravity (or equivalently the average energy density including matter and radiation but excluding DE) within a galaxy, a cluster, etc... My guess is that the ratio of such pressures would give a "precise" equivalent of the rubber-strength to metal-strength ratio in the above example.
Sorry this is wrong wrong wrong. Let me try again I don't know if I'll get this right this time either, but at least there should be one error removed.

The "expansion pressure" I mentionned is another name for the cosmological constant, which explains the acceleration of expansion, not expansion itself. Expansion per se has no associated energy density or pressure.

So, tentatively:

Bound systems should be completely unaffected by (unaccelerated) expansion, because expansion doesn't pull at all - it is a form of relaxation, not a response to a force.

But, they are affected by accelerating expansion, i.e. by the negative pressure of the cosmological constant, and a possible guess is that measuring the ratio of their own energy density to that of the CC, might quantify this: negligible for a galaxy, bately noticeable for the largest clusters.

Is that closer to being correct?

Last edited:
Doug Huffman said:
Beggars the meaning of galaxy cluster. Either they are gravitationally bound or not.

I see. The assumption seems fair to me that they lie on a threshold between a gravity well and space expansion.

Blackberg said:
At some sufficiently large radius for a galaxy cluster, I would expect gravity to be sufficiently weak for the outer galaxies to drift away with expanding space.
Yes, that is exactly what I said in post #12

wabbit said:
... negligible for a galaxy, bately noticeable for the largest clusters
I would say dense clusters, not large clusters, since it is the gravitational attraction of the outer galaxies to the cluster center that matters, and that depends more on density than size.

Blackberg said:
I see. The assumption seems fair to me that they lie on a threshold between a gravity well and space expansion.
Perhaps the distinction in a way similar to "where does the Earth atmosphere end"? There is no sharp limit - even if Earth were strictly alone in space, at some point random thermal movement gets some molecules kicked out (though one molecule kicked out might still come back after hitting another one)?

Edit: for a given galaxy at a given moment though, the distinction should be sharp, it is either bound to the cluster or not, depending if its velocity is lower or higher than the cluster escape velocity?

Last edited:
phinds said:
I would say dense clusters, not large clusters, since it is the gravitational attraction of the outer galaxies to the cluster center that matters, and that depends more on density than size.
Agreed, a large but very dense cluster could be "tightly bound".

wabbit said:
Agreed, a large but very dense cluster could be "tightly bound".
yes

A technical reference on the effect of the universe's expansion on gravitationally interacting systems is "The influence of the cosmological expansion
on local systems" by Cooperstock, Faraoni, and Vollick,

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9803097A reference (somewhat less technical than the reference above) on electrically interacting systems (e.g., atoms) is "In an expanding universe, what doesn’t expand?" by Price and Romano,

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0508052

I
George Jones said:
A technical reference on the effect of the universe's expansion on gravitationally interacting systems is "The influence of the cosmological expansion
on local systems" by Cooperstock, Faraoni, and Vollick,

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9803097A reference (somewhat less technical than the reference above) on electrically interacting systems (e.g., atoms) is "In an expanding universe, what doesn’t expand?" by Price and Romano,

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0508052

Thank you very much, this is bound to be better than randomly guessing as I was doing :) . Reading this now.

Edit: also found : Valerio Faraoni, Audrey Jacques, Cosmological expansion and local physics (http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.1350).

Last edited:
You're welcome.

wabbit said:
this is bound to be better

Pun intended? :wink::biggrin:

George Jones said:
Pun intended? :wink::biggrin:
No, that was completely unintentional- thanks for the laugh !

phinds said:
Yes, that is exactly what I said in post #12

For a galaxy on a cluster threshold, someone most likely did try calculating the outgoing radiation pressure. The CBR (plus all stellar radiation) should apply a slight radiation pressure on everything. How does it compare to gravity? Can it account for at least some of the expansion?

If I'm going to bring anything to expansion theories today, it's probably limited to brownian diffusion (with unidentified particles) and radiation pressure lol.

1. Why are the more distant galaxies/stars moving faster away?

The phenomenon of distant galaxies and stars moving away at faster speeds is known as the "expansion of the universe". This is due to the fact that the universe is constantly expanding, causing objects to move away from each other at increasing speeds.

2. How do we know that distant galaxies/stars are moving faster away?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the speed at which distant galaxies and stars are moving away. One of the most common methods is called redshift, which involves measuring the change in wavelength of light emitted by these objects. The greater the redshift, the faster the object is moving away.

3. Is there a limit to how fast distant galaxies/stars can move away?

According to the theory of relativity, there is no limit to how fast objects can move away from each other in the expanding universe. However, there is a limit to how fast we can observe these objects moving due to the speed of light.

4. What is causing the expansion of the universe?

The exact cause of the expansion of the universe is still a topic of ongoing research and debate among scientists. One theory is that it is due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

5. Will the distant galaxies/stars eventually stop moving away?

Based on current observations and theories, it is unlikely that the expansion of the universe will ever stop. In fact, it is predicted that the expansion will continue to accelerate, causing distant galaxies and stars to move away from each other at even faster speeds in the future.