Why are things blue shifted and not violet shifted?

• Thread starter Entropee
  • Start date

Entropee

Gold Member
If objects are moving away from us, they are known as red shifted, so why are objects moving towards us blue shifted and not violet shifted?

Semantics. Blue-shifted objects are not necessarily blue: an object emitting at 5 um moving towards us is still blue shifted even though it is way outside the visible spectrum.

mathman

Science Advisor
If objects are moving away from us, they are known as red shifted, so why are objects moving towards us blue shifted and not violet shifted?
"blue" and "red" are just labels used to denote upshift or downshift in frequency.

Entropee

Gold Member
Oh ok, yeah I just thought it was odd since most elemtary school students even know that purple comes after blue using roygbiv. Thanks :]

I didn't know that.

So acceleration of the object in relation to us alter wave length?

:eek:

ideasrule

Homework Helper
Oh ok, yeah I just thought it was odd since most elemtary school students even know that purple comes after blue using roygbiv. Thanks :]
Actually, purple is not the same as violet. Violet is a spectral color consisting of wavelengths shorter than blue, but purple is a perceptual color seen only when both blue and red wavelengths are present.

Entropee

Gold Member
Oh lol, my bad, I guess it's time for me to go back to Elementary school?

What? Entropee said nothing of the kind.
But what he said is right?

I wanna know why!

Edit: Ok so I guess I just got pretty inventive with lack of clear information. LOL

Last edited:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving