Why are women wearing tops with open backs?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary: I mean, the girls that are wearing them, I think they're probably just trying to look fashionable and cool, you know?I'm not sure, but it just seems like there's something not very classy about it, you know?In summary, many women are wearing tops that expose their undergarments, and some people think it's not very classy.
Remarkable thread...males discussing female fashion.

Physics news on Phys.org
NewtonianAlch said:
Remarkable thread...males discussing female fashion.
Why not? Who said we had to know anything about it? We discuss the origins of the Big Bang and the interiors of black holes too!

:tongue2:

marcus said:
everybody else made witty comments and jokes, causing it to be a wonderful thread. I will say the dull obvious. Women's styles change so as to expose and accentuate a different patch of skin every few years. This refreshes men's imaginations.
One thinks about how it would be to touch her back.
After a few months or years the window on the back closes and some other window opens. Something new is noticed. A new magnet to start the imagination working.

At times it has been quite subtle---even ankles can work. Or the back of the neck if the rest is covered. But cleavage and leg of course.

Outrageous! That is so pathetic that the fashion guru's can think they can manipulate my phychic like that just because I have male jeans . And for what dasterdly ulterior take over the world motive do they have in mind for the mindless masses ...
sorry . I was distracted there a bit. using a mobile connection in a park . difficult to think . muddled thoughts What was I talking about??

256bits said:
Outrageous! That is so pathetic that the fashion guru's can think they can manipulate my phychic like that just because I have male jeans . And for what dasterdly ulterior take over the world motive do they have in mind for the mindless masses ...
sorry . I was distracted there a bit. using a mobile connection in a park . difficult to think . muddled thoughts What was I talking about??

I have got to say that, in this most recent heatwave, I have felt my pysche being manipulated quite a bit. It is particularly bad on Yonge street, during the lunch hour, from a window-seat in the pizza joint. Avoid that at all costs. Also, the park. And the beach, right around 6PM fom a spot in the shade. Why, just yesterday I had my psyche manipulated for over an hour while I very carefully sipped a pop at McD's. Tomorrow and Saturday are looking pretty bad for some manipulation too.

cepheid said:
For women who make an effort to look fashionable, chic, trendy, elegant, whatever, I agree that their primary audience is other people who understand and appreciate the nuances of such things, and that group does not include many men. But I'm not really talking about that. I'm talking more about women who wear revealing outfits in an attempt to look "sexy." Do women wear extremely short skirts, tight-fitting outfits, uncomfortably-high heels, and display a lot of cleavage *solely* for the benefit of themselves and other women? I don't think so, but I have come across some women who claim that they do dress in this way for themselves, that it makes them feel confident and powerful, and that it is not for the benefit of men -- it has nothing to so with attracting men whatsoever. They do this and then they complain about how they receive all sorts of unwanted attention from men and how they are tired of being objectified. They seem to have the unreasonable expectation that this ought not to happen. This, to me, seems contradictory. So I'm trying to understand how this can be a legitimate argument. I don't buy it. Even if the claim is that being and feeling "sexy" makes you feel good about yourself, I'd argue that the primary reason for that is because of all of the attention, notice, praise, desire, admiration, envy, etc that it gets you from *others* (just as I stated in my previous post).

I believe that the manner in which one dresses tends to be a matter of sociality for most people. The only people I think tend to not dress "socially" are people who have a genuine lack of "social consciousness" by which I do not mean people with "anti-social" behavioral disorders necessarily but even people who are simply depressed or people who have autism. Autistics would be a good control I think. I doubt that many dress to "look good" for themselves though they may chose particular colours, patterns, or fabrics based on partiality to them without necessarily considering if they "look good" in them. From a bit of reading I did before (nothing academic) autistic people seem to only consider how they look in their clothing when specifically attempting to be social or consider the social impact of the way they dress. One blogger in particular said that he purchased a brightly coloured, busy patterned, shirt because he felt it made him more sociable for going to get togethers and such. Otherwise they tend to wear the same sorts of "fashion" all the time for the sake of being comfortable.

Then there are people like me that are sick of attention and dress to discourage it. Not everyone wants attention.

Likes gracy
Evo said:
Then there are people like me that are sick of attention and dress to discourage it. Not everyone wants attention.

This as well. Its social, after a fashion, in that you are attempting to manipulate your interactions with people by it. I had a girlfriend a long time ago who used to dress like a male in order to keep males from hitting on her and all around prevent her from being treated like a girl.

TheStatutoryApe said:
This as well. Its social, after a fashion, in that you are attempting to manipulate your interactions with people by it. I had a girlfriend a long time ago who used to dress like a male in order to keep males from hitting on her and all around prevent her from being treated like a girl.
I don't dress as a male, and I didn't realize it until a male friend said "when you go out with me you're covered head to toe, but when you go out clubbing, you dress very sexy".

I didn't even realize it, but he was right, he was a friend so I didn't want to send the wrong signals to him. I wasn't doing it consciously. And after I decided I didn't want to date, I started dressing unattractively. I never thought about it, but it was pointed out to me.

Slightly off topic (that is, perfectly on topic of the beginning of the thread, but it drifted in the meantime).

Call it a pet peeve of mine, but I hate it when girls wear anything uncovering their backs only to show the bra straps. It goes against my aesthetic feelings. If you wear something that uncovers your skin, show your skin, don't be a bra slave.

Thank you.

I've seen men walking around with cheeky open backs, I'm glad that hasn't caught on as a trend :biggrin:

What about the whole yoga pants pandemic? Do the pants that show the exact curvature and texture of a woman's behind concern none of you?
Me either.

So does this mean it's time for me to bring in the open front shirt for men? Open in the stomach area of course. With that much surface area exposed on the average US male I predict a minimum of 25% reduction in heat stress and heat stroke related injuries/deaths this summer. And I'm sure the ladies will love seeing all those bared guts everywhere!

AnTiFreeze3 said:
What about the whole yoga pants pandemic? Do the pants that show the exact curvature and texture of a woman's behind concern none of you?

IT ONLY CONCERNS ME IF I FEEL THE NEED PUKE AND THEN PUT MY CAPSLOCK ON AND TALK ABOUT IT ONLINE. Otherwise I'm fine.

I didn't realize Evo was a female until now...awkward.

From my experience in high school, the girls that drive provocatively are the ones that need attention; generally, the ones that need attention didn't get enough attention from their family, so they usually have issues, which is why I steer clear of them.

To be fair though, I haven't seen any women with open backs and I live in the GTA.

And to be more fair, the same applies to men. Shallow women would look at me and stay away from me. Why? Well, because I don't have my pants below my crack.

tahayassen said:
the girls that drive provocatively are the ones that need attention

Yes, they probably cause as many road accidents as people (of either gender) who text while driving.

jtbell said:
Yes, they probably cause as many road accidents as people (of either gender) who text while driving.

Haha, Damn You Autocorrect! :biggrin:

Regarding women's fashion:

I'm 24 and a female. I wear mini skirts almost all summer long. I do this because I once dated a guy who loved the mini skirt and flip flop look while I was living in Phoenix. But then it was so hot there all the time, that honestly, it was pretty practical, so I wore them even more. Now its years after we broke up, and I still wear mini skirts all the time, even though the summer fashion trends have gone away from that style and shifted towards capris, flared shorts, and loose pants, (yoga pants, I mean you!)

Only just the other day a guy friend of mine commented on my short skirt and asked if I was... uh... "asking for it." I said no, it was just comfortable and I thought I looked cute. (I was also wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and sneakers, so nothing else provocative.) He informed me that mini skirts have an implied sexuality, and that even a pair of short shorts would have been a more conservative choice. Personally, I don't like that sort of attention, so I was a little taken aback by that. When I wore the look in Phoenix, it was so popular, I didn't get a second glance from most passerby. Now, because not every girl is doing it, I suppose I stand out slightly more.

My point is that I partook in a fashion trend at one point in time, but it became my own personal fashion choice for comfort reasons, however now it has certain other implications I was (mostly) unaware of.

Because fashion is always evolving, its hard for any single woman to really keep up and still remain comfortable. Compromises are made. Girls trying to keep up may be wearing the open back style shirts, but they may not be comfortable without a bra, (I wouldn't be!) So they make a (poor) decision to wear both. It happens.

I maybe wore a flannel shirt and a mini skirt the other day and maybe got some weird looks... Fashion is a tricky thing people!

I wear the same pair of jeans practically every day. (Although wearing a uniform to work helps) They are faded and have holes in the bottom of the legs. Why do I wear them? Because they are comfortable and I don't particularly care about fashion! Do some people see this look and think I'm a slob? Probably. Am I? Not that I know of. Should I stop wearing them because some people think something of me? I don't think so.

I think the same thing applies to women's fashion. Ladies, you could be wearing a whale suit slathered in blubber, yet SOMEONE is going to think you look sexy. Wear what you want to wear, just be aware of the REASONS behind it.

I have been wearing some older jeans and asked my wife to pick me up a couple a pairs of straight-leg Levis. They are not the old stove-pipe legs of the past. I would prefer the mobility and comfort of the old straight-legs, but these are are too tight around the calves. Fashions change, and some of us geezers might not be aware of it. I have been the same jean size for decades, and Levi has decided to tighten up the lower legs. Well, the mistake has been made and paid for, so I'm stuck with them. I'm not a runner any more, so my calf-size shouldn't change unless I get fat, but I'm still ticked.

Drakkith said:
I think the same thing applies to women's fashion. Ladies, you could be wearing a whale suit slathered in blubber, yet SOMEONE is going to think you look sexy. Wear what you want to wear, just be aware of the REASONS behind it.

Haha. First, I'm not entirely convinced that's true...

Second, who cares if SOMEONE thinks you're sexy? I think most women are aiming a little higher than that.

Welcome back Gale!

russ_watters said:
Welcome back Gale!

Thanks Russ! Glad to be back!