Exploring the Group Axioms: What Makes Them an Axiom?

In summary, the conversation discussed the definition of a group and why the properties of a group are referred to as axioms. It was clarified that axioms are not defined to be true, but rather they are simply "things" that are true in a model of the axioms. It was also mentioned that a good introduction to mathematical logic is Robert R. Stoll's "Set Theory and Logic" which is affordable and covers both set theory and logic.
broegger
Hi.

I'm reading a simple introduction to groups. A group is said to be a set satisfying the following axioms (called the 'group axioms'):

1) Associativity.

2) There is a neutral element.

3) Every element has an inverse element.

4) Closure.

My questions is simply: why are they called axioms? I thought an axiom was something we take as a starting point, defining it to be true and then deduce something from it (possibly together with other axioms). Why are 1-4 not just the definition of a group?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
They are the definition of a a group (modulo the fact that you've omitted to mention the binary operation). A group is something that satisfies these axioms (a model). Note, axioms are not things that are 'defined to be true' . They are just 'things' and in any model of the axioms they are true.

It just depends on how you like to label these things.

Last edited:
more useful is to think about an example, like the isometries of a cube, possibly orientation preserving, i.e. rotations carrying a cube into itself.

But you can't prove an axiom, and 1-4 can be proved (or disproved) for a given set?

In that case you are just proving that whatever set with whatever binary operation satisfies those axioms. You are not proving the axioms themselves.

Cincinnatus said:
In that case you are just proving that whatever set with whatever binary operation satisfies those axioms. You are not proving the axioms themselves.

Oh, I think I get it now. I guess I was confused about the distinction between the axioms themselves and 'the model' to which they are applied. Thanks, everyone.

By the way, does anybody know of a good, relatively accessible, introduction to the subject of mathematical logic?

Robert R. Stoll's Set Theory and Logic is an okay intro set theory text (although it only looks at naive set theory), but an excellent intro logic text. It's also put out by Dover so it's cheap.

edit: Link to book.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I'll pick that one up.

1. What are the group axioms?

The group axioms are a set of four properties that define what a group is in abstract algebra. They include the closure axiom, associativity axiom, identity axiom, and inverse axiom.

2. Why are the group axioms important?

The group axioms are important because they provide a framework for understanding and studying groups in abstract algebra. They allow us to classify and compare different groups, and they provide a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. Can you give an example of a group that satisfies the axioms?

Yes, the set of integers under addition is a group that satisfies the group axioms. It is closed under addition, has an identity element of 0, and every element has an inverse (e.g. 2 has an inverse of -2).

4. Are there any groups that do not satisfy the axioms?

Yes, there are structures that may appear to be groups but do not satisfy all of the axioms. For example, the set of even integers under addition is not a group because it is not closed under addition (the sum of two even integers is not always even).

5. How are the group axioms used in real-world applications?

The group axioms have many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to study symmetry and symmetry groups, which are important in understanding the properties of molecules, crystals, and other physical systems. They are also used in the development of encryption algorithms in computer science.