Why can't a free electron absorb or emit photon?

In summary, there is a common misconception that a free electron can absorb or emit a photon. However, this is not possible due to conservation laws. The absorption of a photon is forbidden because it would result in a violation of energy and momentum conservation. Similarly, the emission of a photon is also forbidden because it would require a transfer of momentum from the electron to the photon, which is not possible in this scenario. While the electron may experience an oscillation due to the passage of a light wave, it will always emit the same amount of energy that it absorbs, resulting in no net effect on the electron.
Zeus2nd

Homework Statement

In an article, I am informed that a free electron can neither absorb nor emit a photon. I just want to know why?! Please help me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no idea at all. Photon is the medium boson carrying electromagnetic force, so the relationship between electron and photon is interesting. The above process is said to bef orbidden, and I think some conservation laws must be violated!

Physics news on Phys.org
look at the conduction electrons in a metal and how they interact with light.

Hello, Zeus! I'm so glad to come across your problem. Nice and attractive!
It is essential in special relativity that, a free electron can neither absorb nor emit photons. Hints are given in details below.

1. Absorbing of photon is forbidden.

If a free electron could absorb a photon, then, according to conservation of energy and momentum,
$$
\hbar \omega +mc^2 = \sqrt{p^2c^2 + m^2c^4} (Eq1)
$$
$$
\hbar k = p (Eq2)
$$
where $\omega$ and $k$ are the frequency and wavenumber of the photon, respectively, $m$ the electron's rest mass, $p$ the momentum of the electron after absorbing the photon. Eq2 leads to
$$
p^2=\hbar^2 k^2 = \hbar^2 \frac{\omega^2}{c^2} (Eq3)
$$
Insert Eq3 into Eq2, and square of the left side is
$$
(\hbar \omega +mc^2 )^2 =\hbar^2 \omega^2 + m^2c^4+2mc^2\hbar \omega
$$
when square of the right side is
$$
\hbar^2\omega^2+m^2c^4
$$
So, if Eq1 holds, $\hbar \omega=0$. There is no photon carrying vanishing energy. Hence, absorbing of a photon by a free electron is forbidden.

2. Emitting of a photon is Forbidden
Suppose the intial (before photon emitting) and final (after photon emitting) 4-momentum of the electron are separately $p_\mu$, $p'_\mu $:
$$
p_\mu=(0,0,0,imc), \qquad p'_\mu = \left[p, i\frac{mc}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} \right] (Eq4)
$$
According to conservation of energy and momentum:
$$
p_\mu=q_\mu+p'_\mu (Eq5)
(p_\mu - p'_\mu)^2 =q_\mu^2 (Eq6)
$$
where $q_\mu$ refers to the 4-momentum of the photon. From Eq5 and Eq6, we have
$$
(p_\mu - p'_\mu)^2 = p_\mu^2 -2p_\mu p'_\mu+p'_\mu^2
=-m^2c^2- 2p_\mu p'_\mu -\frac{mc^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} (Eq7)
$$
Recall that
$$
p_\mu p'_\mu = -\frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} (Eq8)
$$
Insert Eq8 into Eq7, we have
$$
p_\mu p'_\mu = -m^2 c^2 \left[ 1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} \right] (Eq9)
$$
Yet $q_\mu^2=0$, so, $p_\mu=p'_\mu$, to ensure Eq5 and Eq6 hold. Thus the state of motion of the electron is not disturbed, with no momentum transported to the photon. Hence, emitting of a photon by the free electron is forbidden.

Zeus2nd said:

Homework Statement

In an article, I am informed that a free electron can neither absorb nor emit a photon. I just want to know why?! Please help me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no idea at all. Photon is the medium boson carrying electromagnetic force, so the relationship between electron and photon is interesting. The above process is said to bef orbidden, and I think some conservation laws must be violated!

Sounds like the article is wrong. Or else they are placing constraints on the electrons that are not met in FELs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_electron_laser

berkeman said:
Sounds like the article is wrong. Or else they are placing constraints on the electrons that are not met in FELs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_electron_laser

The electrons in a Free-electron laser aren't actually free in the sense used for the question. They are tightly controlled by an oscillating magnetic field, so that they emit coherent radiation.

An electron can't absorb a photon all by itself, because you can't get conservation of energy and momentum with the electron alone.

Cheers -- sylas

I would like to draw your attention to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308657 , on which another interesting problem on the relationship between photon and electron is discussed. This problem is ----why can an electron - positron pair not be created by a photon in free space(by sheelbe999 )? Here also, mathematical formulation are given in details as a hint.

Tian WJ said:
I would like to draw your attention to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308657...

Oh, beautiful! George Jones [post=2167860]#7[/post] gives a very elegant solution, that works here also.

Imagine that a free electron absorbs a photon. Analyze this in the reference frame where the electron is at rest after the absorption. What is the energy of the absorbed photon in this frame?

it is true that a free electron can't emit or absorb a photon but it is misleading to think that a free electron is totally unaffected by the passage of a light wave. the electron will indeed oscillate but it will always emit exactly the amount of energy that it absorbs. the 'net' effect is that it is unaffected.

I think that the light might be scattered in the process. I'm not sure.

1. Why can't a free electron absorb or emit photon?

The reason that a free electron cannot absorb or emit a photon is because it does not have enough energy to do so. In order for an electron to absorb or emit a photon, it must have a specific amount of energy that corresponds to the energy of the photon. Since a free electron does not have any energy levels, it cannot absorb or emit photons.

2. What happens when a free electron interacts with a photon?

When a free electron interacts with a photon, it will either be scattered or it will absorb the photon and gain energy. This is known as the photoelectric effect. If the photon has enough energy, it can knock the electron out of its orbit and cause it to become a free electron.

3. Can a free electron absorb or emit multiple photons?

No, a free electron cannot absorb or emit multiple photons at once. This is because the energy of a photon is directly related to its frequency and wavelength. If a free electron were to absorb or emit multiple photons, the energy of each photon would have to be exactly the same, which is highly unlikely.

4. Why is it important that an electron has energy levels in order to absorb or emit photons?

The energy levels of an electron determine the specific energy that is required for it to absorb or emit a photon. Without these energy levels, the electron does not have a specific energy state and therefore cannot interact with photons in the same way.

5. Can a free electron ever absorb or emit photons?

While a free electron cannot absorb or emit photons on its own, it can do so when it is part of an atom or molecule. This is because atoms and molecules have energy levels that allow them to absorb or emit photons. In these cases, the free electron is not truly free, as it is bound to the atom or molecule and its energy levels.