Show why an isolated electron cannot emit a photon

In summary: Not this one. This one is easy. Taking the frame to be the rest frame of electron actually makes it pretty obvious.
asciola

Homework Statement

"Use the laws of conservation of relativistic momentum and energy to show that an isolated electron cannot emit a photon."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have tried to answer using the p = p' + q where q is the momentum of the photon, along with E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4, but am lost on how to prove that it is not possible to emit a photon.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume that it emits a photon and get a contradiction based on that.
As the choice of a reference frame is arbitrary, you can choose to have the electron at rest, initially, for example.

so if the electron is initially at rest that gives

p = 0 so 0 = p' + q

therefore

-p' = q and p'2 = q2

rewriting as

E2/c2 - m2*c2 = (h/λ)2

I feel like this isn't going in the right direction.

asciola said:
so if the electron is initially at rest that gives

p = 0 so 0 = p' + q

therefore

-p' = q and p'2 = q2

rewriting as

E2/c2 - m2*c2 = (h/λ)2

I feel like this isn't going in the right direction.

Ok, so the initial electron at rest has total energy mc^2. The final electron has some momentum p. What's the total energy of the final electron in terms of p?

Dick said:
Ok, so the initial electron at rest has total energy mc^2. The final electron has some momentum p. What's the total energy of the final electron in terms of p?

the only equation i can think of is E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

asciola said:
the only equation i can think of is E2 = p2c2 + m2c4

That's fine. So if you assume p is nonzero, which is larger, the initial energy of the electron or the final energy of the electron?

Dick said:
That's fine. So if you assume p is nonzero, which is larger, the initial energy of the electron or the final energy of the electron?

I think i know where this is going. So if the final energy is larger, then in order for energy to be conserved the energy of the photon would have to be negative, which is not possible.

asciola said:
I think i know where this is going. So if the final energy is larger, then in order for energy to be conserved the energy of the photon would have to be negative, which is not possible.

You've got it.

Dick said:
You've got it.

Thanks! I was thinking it would involve more equations to prove.

asciola said:
Thanks! I was thinking it would involve more equations to prove.

Not this one. This one is easy. Taking the frame to be the rest frame of electron actually makes it pretty obvious.

1. Why can't an isolated electron emit a photon?

An isolated electron is defined as an electron that is not interacting with any other particle or field. In order for an electron to emit a photon, it must undergo a change in energy level. However, since an isolated electron is not interacting with any other particles or fields, it cannot undergo this change in energy level and therefore cannot emit a photon.

2. What is the role of energy conservation in an isolated electron emitting a photon?

According to the law of energy conservation, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of an isolated electron emitting a photon, the electron would have to gain energy in order to emit the photon. However, since there are no other particles or fields for the electron to interact with, it cannot gain energy and therefore cannot emit a photon.

3. Is it possible for an isolated electron to absorb a photon?

Yes, it is possible for an isolated electron to absorb a photon. This is because the absorption of a photon does not require a change in energy level, but rather a transfer of energy from the photon to the electron.

4. Can an isolated electron emit a photon in a vacuum?

No, an isolated electron cannot emit a photon in a vacuum. This is because a vacuum is defined as a space devoid of all matter and particles, including electromagnetic fields. Without any other particles or fields present, the isolated electron cannot undergo a change in energy level and emit a photon.

5. How does the concept of charge affect an isolated electron emitting a photon?

An isolated electron has a charge of -1, while a photon has a neutral charge. In order for an electron to emit a photon, it must undergo a change in energy level and release the excess energy in the form of a photon. However, since there are no other particles or fields for the electron to interact with, it cannot undergo this change in energy level and therefore cannot emit a photon.