Why can't I edit my original post in my threads?

• Thread starter deezer
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Why can't I edit my original post in my threads? Sometimes I make a mistake or something and it's really annoying to post below because then people don't see it.

Answers and Replies

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You only have 700 minutes to edit any post. After that it is locked.

jtbell
Mentor
Why can't I edit my original post in my threads?
Because people have abused this ability in the past.

Because people have abused this ability in the past.
How can people abuse it? Because I usually post questions and have to wait 1 day or so for a reply. Sometimes I type the question wrong and then it gets confusing for people reading the thread later.

berkeman
Mentor
How can people abuse it? Because I usually post questions and have to wait 1 day or so for a reply. Sometimes I type the question wrong and then it gets confusing for people reading the thread later.
We sometimes have students who post a question, get help, and then go back and delete their original post (OP) with the question to hide it. We take a *very* dim view of such behavior.

I'd recommend just being sure to proofread your post right after you have posted it. I make corrections to my posts all the time during that proofread step.

jtbell
Mentor
How can people abuse it?
For example, by deleting the entire post after getting their answer, leaving only an empty shell; either to prevent classmates from finding the question and taking advantage of the answer, or to hide the fact that the question was from an exam and they were cheating on it.

[berkeman slipped in while I was typing this]