Why can't I test a smoke detector with smoke?

In summary, the user is surprised by the instructions for their smoke detectors which state that the detectors should not be tested with flame, smoke, or heat, as it may provide misleading results. The user questions how they can reliably test the sensors and expresses doubt about the effectiveness of the detectors, especially given their experience with false alarms.
Paul Uszak
I just came across the user instructions for my smoke detectors and am surprised. I've attached a small section of the instructions. They're from a mainstream manufacturer and labelled with a British Kitemark. You can see that I'm not supposed to test it with flame, smoke nor heat, and the results might be misleading! How can this be?

The self test button clearly doesn't introduce ionised particles into the chamber of an ionisation type, lumps of smoke into the sight line of an optical type, nor heat up the sensor of a heat type detector. I assume that it only tests the output circutry and the thingie that makes the annoying noise when I cook. So if cooking sets it off, why can't I test it so? How else can I reliably test that the sensor components are actually working and not full of paint /spiders? I bet that they test smoke detectors at the factory in a real /well simulated fire environment...

Attachments

• smoke.png
    smoke.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found that some of those so called smoke detectors are pretty useless, I don't know how much veracity is to be expected of the 'Kitemark'.
A while ago all of the 'smoke detectors' in my flat were replaced by my landlord as 'routine maintenance'.
Every one of them eventually detected 'smoke' when nothing even vaguely like smoke was around.
One of them, (the first one). started to raise an alarm just because of bright sunlight, closing the window curtain would shut it up.

Paul Uszak said:
You can see that I'm not supposed to test it with flame, smoke nor heat, and the results might be misleading! How can this be?
I guess, if done too often, it could cover the sensors with soot.

Likes DrGreg

1. Why can't I test a smoke detector with smoke?

Smoke detectors are designed to detect small particles and aerosols that are produced by fires. These particles can be detected by the sensors in the smoke detector, triggering the alarm. However, smoke produced by other sources, such as cigarettes or candles, may not contain the same particles and may not trigger the alarm.

2. Can't I just use a match or lighter to test the smoke detector?

No, using a match or lighter to test a smoke detector is not recommended. These sources of smoke may not produce the same type of particles that a fire would, and may not trigger the alarm. Additionally, using an open flame to test a smoke detector can be dangerous and may lead to a fire.

3. How often should I test my smoke detector?

Smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month. This ensures that the alarm is functioning properly and that the batteries are still working. It is also recommended to replace the batteries in your smoke detector at least once a year.

4. What is the proper way to test a smoke detector?

The proper way to test a smoke detector is to press and hold the test button on the detector. This will simulate the presence of smoke and should trigger the alarm. If the alarm does not sound, it may be an indication that the batteries need to be replaced or that the detector needs to be replaced.

5. Can I just wait for the smoke detector to sound during a real fire?

No, you should not rely on the smoke detector to only sound during a real fire. It is important to test the smoke detector regularly to ensure it is functioning properly. In the event of a real fire, every second counts and a functioning smoke detector can save lives.